From: Jethro on
looks like my next work phone will be one of these. I currently use an
N5800 ... is this a sideways step or a step up, or will I hate it as
much as I hated the HTC touch ?
From: Daniel James on
In article <6c937c3f-d317-485a-b8b3-
0d5e4b918efe(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>, Jethro wrote:
> looks like my next work phone will be one of these. I currently use an
> N5800 ... is this a sideways step or a step up, or will I hate it as
> much as I hated the HTC touch ?

Depends why you hated the touch ...

The Wildfire is an Android phone, while the touch uses Windows Mobile,
so the software will be completely different. That may make all the
difference.

The N5800 is Symbian, so that's different again.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Jethro on
On 20 July, 22:50, Daniel James <dan...(a)me.invalid> wrote:
> In article <6c937c3f-d317-485a-b8b3-
>
> 0d5e4b918...(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>, Jethro wrote:
> > looks like my next work phone will be one of these. I currently use an
> > N5800 ... is this a sideways step or a step up, or will I hate it as
> > much as I hated the HTC touch ?
>
> Depends why you hated the touch ...

Bluetooth was flaky ... I'd get to work, turn my earpiece off, and
it'd be 50/50 as to whether it would reconnect later. If it didn't I
had to re-pair again. Of course you can't do this on the road ....

Also they had the most ludicrous "feature" ever. When you set the
phone volume to zero, it set the bluetooth volume to zero. So coming
out of a meeting, I couldn't use the bluetooth voice dialling, as I'd
press the headset button, and never hear the "beep" to say the name.

And the wi-fi was flaky too. I connected to my home router, no
problem. Went to work, got home, and it wouldn't reconnect. I had to
delete the connection and reconnect - every time.

> The Wildfire is an Android phone, while the touch uses Windows Mobile,
> so the software will be completely different. That may make all the
> difference.
>
> The N5800 is Symbian, so that's different again.

To be honest, I'm agnostic about the OS ... I just want the phone
features to work. One thing about the n5800 is the bluetooth and wifi
have been rock-solid for 18 months now.

From: Steve Terry on
"Jethro" <krazykara0(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> On 20 July, 22:50, Daniel James <dan...(a)me.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <6c937c3f-d317-485a-b8b3-
>>
>> 0d5e4b918...(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>, Jethro wrote:
<snip>
> To be honest, I'm agnostic about the OS ... I just want the phone
> features to work. One thing about the n5800 is the bluetooth and wifi
> have been rock-solid for 18 months now.

If you want rock solid, you can't be agnostic abut the OS

The Brew OS in my Skype S2 is a bit flaky, but for under 40quid
i can't argue

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Daniel James on
In article <d91d0400-3dca-4ccd-a3f7-
e0d97fbb6915(a)5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>, Jethro wrote:
> > Depends why you hated the touch ...
>
> Bluetooth was flaky ... I'd get to work, turn my earpiece off, and
> it'd be 50/50 as to whether it would reconnect later. If it didn't I
> had to re-pair again. Of course you can't do this on the road ....

The only thing I've tried to use with Bluetooth with my Legend is a
TomTom satnav that has handsfree capability. I never used that
functionality with my Nokia as I have an excellent wired handsfree for
it (which, of course, the Legend doesn't fit). I've had no problem
connecting and reconnecting, but when I try to answer a call from the
TomTom the phone just keeps ringing! I'm inclined to suspect the TomTom
rather than the phone, but I don't know ...

> Also they had the most ludicrous "feature" ever. When you set the
> phone volume to zero, it set the bluetooth volume to zero.

That's barmy! As I have no Bluetooth headphone I can't say whether mine
does that.

> And the wi-fi was flaky too. I connected to my home router, no
> problem. Went to work, got home, and it wouldn't reconnect. I had to
> delete the connection and reconnect - every time.

I do have a problem connecting to one router ... it just says "waiting
for IP address" (or words to that effect), times out, and starts again.
However it works very well and reliably with my router at home and most
others that I've tried. There is apparently a known problem with the
DHCP handshake between Android phones and some routers ... I guess
they'll fix it some day.

This is an Android problem, though, not an HTC one ... so I doubt that
it's related to the problem you had with the touch.

> To be honest, I'm agnostic about the OS ... I just want the phone
> features to work.

I can understand that! Some people will dislike a phone because they
don't like the way the features work (so may prefer Windows or Symbian
or Android or iPhone or Blackberry over the others), which might be
thought a little fussy -- others just want the features *to* work,
which is much more sensible.

Sadly, I don't think there's a single piece of consumer electronics as
complex as a modern smartphone that works exactly as it should -- the
time-to-market of these devices is forced to be so short that they
never really get debugged.

The Reg likes the Wildfire ... but I doubt they conducted an in-depth
QA analysis!

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/07/20/review_smartphone_android_htc_wil
dfire/

Cheers,