From: VK on
On Jun 6, 7:50 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>
> Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:
>
> | This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
> | Safari.

Your objection is not clear. The page is called "Safari Technology
Demos" and it does what has been declared: it demonstrates supported
HTML5 features in latest Safari versions. Obviously in order to
demonstrate these features in this browser, the page needs to be
viewed using Safari.

If the page would be called "Universal HTML5 support test: see what
your current browser can" or the like, then your obsession would be
understandable.
From: Ry Nohryb on
On Jun 6, 8:55 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/5/2010 11:35 PM, Joe Nine wrote:
>
> > This doesn't surprise me from Apple. They probably want viewers to think
> > this stuff only works on Safari.

Because most of this stuff currently only works in Safari: YES, Safari
is the leader, whether you like it or not.

> Right. They hype up how cool it is and then, oh, sorry, if you want to
> see it, go download Safari. They want to make something cool that works
> only in Safari. They then fib to the public that these cool things are
> standards and Apple is just way ahead of other browsers in supporting them.
>
> It is an attempt at a massive public deception.

As usual, you're able to read but not to comprehend.

> | The demos below show how the latest version of Apple’s Safari web
> | browser, new Macs, and new Apple mobile devices all support the
> | capabilities of HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Not all browsers offer
> | this support. But soon other modern browsers will take advantage of
> | these same web standards — and the amazing things they enable web
> | designers to do.
>
> Reading that, it comes off like Apple is ahead of the game.

Because they *are* ahead.

> There is absolutely no reason for the browser sniffing; no reason for
> not including equivalents to the proprietary css features such as
> -webkit-border-radius.

Browser makers are obligated to prepend their brand name in front of
any proprietary CSS extensions. When/if their proprietary extensions
ever make it into a w3 standard, then the prefix will be removed. E.g.
Mozillas have their own moz-border too. Now that it's a w3 standard
(not yet, but almost there), you can type just border-radius, but only
a few browsers (and not all safaris) will recognize it in the
standards-compliant prefix-less way.

And, for many of Apple's proposed-as-a-standard extensions there are
no equivalences yet: CSS 2d transitions, CSS 2d animations, CSS 3d
transitions, CSS 3d animations, etc.

Also, no other browser but Safari is currently able to play h264
<video> nor AAV <audio>, nor 3d webGL content, nor... etc.

> Proprietary features that aren't part of HTML 5 or CSS3 can be expected
> to fail in other browsers, however such things cannot be honestly called
> HTML 5 and CSS3.

Yes they can, because they're on the w3 table for standardization in/
as HTML5.
--
Jorge.
From: Ry Nohryb on
On Jun 6, 9:33 am, "rf" <r...(a)z.invalid> wrote:

> The same message appears using Winidows Safari. Yes, it's a slightly old
> version but the can't even tell if I am using their own products :-)

It's not just about "using Safari", it's about using a version of
Safari that supports that features, genius.
--
Jorge.
From: Ry Nohryb on
On Jun 6, 8:50 am, VK <schools_r...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 6, 7:50 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>
> > Click through to "View Demo" and you'll likely see the error message:
>
> > | This demo was designed with the latest web standards supported by
> > | Safari.
>
> Your objection is not clear. The page is called "Safari Technology
> Demos" and it does what has been declared: it demonstrates supported
> HTML5 features in latest Safari versions. Obviously in order to
> demonstrate these features in this browser, the page needs to be
> viewed using Safari.
>
> If the page would be called "Universal HTML5 support test: see what
> your current browser can" or the like, then your obsession would be
> understandable.

Exactly. But Garrett has problems with reading comprehension.
--
Jorge.
From: Ry Nohryb on
On Jun 6, 8:35 am, Joe Nine <j...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> This doesn't surprise me from Apple. They probably want viewers to think
> this stuff only works on Safari.

Because most of this stuff currently only works in Safari and to a
lesser extent in Chrome too (because it shares the webkit engine). Try
any of these in IE, LOL, ROTFLOL.
--
Jorge.