From: Sam on

"Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> from what you say I may
>> delete the recovery & restore partition so that I only have one partition
>> on the HD and restore the image and let it write a standard XP MBR to the
>> disk.
>>

> Sam,
>
> That is an excellent idea. Then the single partition will always be
> partition(1) in boot.ini. You may have to edit boot.ini on the first
> occasion if your imaging app doesn't make the change. Writing a Standard
> MBR doesn't alter the partition table or the Disk Signature. Just the boot
> code.

Brian
Downloaded easeus Partition Master, wiped out the two partitions and 7 1/2
hours later
the computer booted up on PBR 1 all by it's self, no tweaking from me
required. Will keep running it and see what happens. Sure hope that took
care of the problem.
Thanks for the help.
Sam

From: Sam on

"Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> from what you say I may
>> delete the recovery & restore partition so that I only have one partition
>> on the HD and restore the image and let it write a standard XP MBR to the
>> disk.
>>

> Sam,
>
> That is an excellent idea. Then the single partition will always be
> partition(1) in boot.ini. You may have to edit boot.ini on the first
> occasion if your imaging app doesn't make the change. Writing a Standard
> MBR doesn't alter the partition table or the Disk Signature. Just the boot
> code.

Forgot to mention that I expanded Partition 2 c: to take up the space from
Partition 1 & 3
I think that is why it took so long, it had to move all of the files.
Sam

From: Brian K on

"Sam" <jj3010(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I think that is why it took so long, it had to move all of the files.

Yes. It had to move all the files in your WinXP partition.

It shouldn't cause a hal.dll error anymore. Please let us know if there is a
problem.

From: Sam on

> "Sam" <jj3010(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I think that is why it took so long, it had to move all of the files.
>

> Yes. It had to move all the files in your WinXP partition.
>
> It shouldn't cause a hal.dll error anymore. Please let us know if there is
> a problem.

Brian
At least a dozen startup and restarts, all is ok. I think you hit the nail
on the head. I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop running most of the time, all
are running WinXP this
one was the only one with more than 1 partition also the one with the
Hal.dll problem. Thanks again, will let you know if it shows up again.
Sam

From: Ben Myers on
On 8/7/2010 9:43 PM, Sam wrote:
> "Brian K"<remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sam"<jj3010(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Yes. It had to move all the files in your WinXP partition.
>>
>> It shouldn't cause a hal.dll error anymore. Please let us know if there is
>> a problem.
>>

> Brian
> At least a dozen startup and restarts, all is ok. I think you hit the nail
> on the head. I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop running most of the time, all
> are running WinXP this
> one was the only one with more than 1 partition also the one with the
> Hal.dll problem. Thanks again, will let you know if it shows up again.
> Sam

This HAL is 9 years too late. See if you can figure out why... Ben Myers