From: ahall on

It is time to buy my last college PC (youngest kid
is about to leave).

I read here a while ago that Dell stopped shipping
real OS disks, but there was at least one exception.
I do not remember which laptop was the exception.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
From: Christopher Muto on
ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
> It is time to buy my last college PC (youngest kid
> is about to leave).
>
> I read here a while ago that Dell stopped shipping
> real OS disks, but there was at least one exception.
> I do not remember which laptop was the exception.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Thanks in advance,

can't speak for any recent purchases in the home division, but the
vostro and latitude laptops generally come with media... but pay close
attention to the description of the os to be sure that it is 'with
media' as some configurations do not come with media.
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
>> It is time to buy my last college PC (youngest kid
>> is about to leave).
>>
>> I read here a while ago that Dell stopped shipping
>> real OS disks, but there was at least one exception.
>> I do not remember which laptop was the exception.
>>
>> Anyone know?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

> can't speak for any recent purchases in the home division, but the
> vostro and latitude laptops generally come with media... but pay close
> attention to the description of the os to be sure that it is 'with
> media' as some configurations do not come with media.

looks like media is no longer an option on even the vostro or inspiron
laptops... the only ones i see with media are some vostro desktops with
windows 7 pro or optiplex and vostro desktops that come with the windows
xp pro 'downgrade'. this is dells offical position on the windows
media and what they curerntly offer for you to create your own recovery
discs.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19332656.aspx
From: Daddy on
On 7/25/2010 11:05 PM, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:

> It is time to buy my last college PC (youngest kid
> is about to leave).
>
> I read here a while ago that Dell stopped shipping
> real OS disks, but there was at least one exception.
> I do not remember which laptop was the exception.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Do "any" Dell laptops come with discs? Probably; Dell sells all kinds of
laptops. Do any of the laptops commonly available to consumers come with
discs? Not any more, unfortunately.

--
Daddy
From: RnR on
In article <i2kbga$8ph$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
daddy(a)invalid.invalid says...

> On 7/25/2010 11:05 PM, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
> >
> > It is time to buy my last college PC (youngest kid
> > is about to leave).
> >
> > I read here a while ago that Dell stopped shipping
> > real OS disks, but there was at least one exception.
> > I do not remember which laptop was the exception.
> >
> > Anyone know?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> Do "any" Dell laptops come with discs? Probably; Dell sells all kinds of
> laptops. Do any of the laptops commonly available to consumers come with
> discs? Not any more, unfortunately.

Not true unless you mean directly from Dell. I got a new dell recently
from BB and it had a couple of discs.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Image to an SSD drive