From: ahall on
"lgreenwood(a)srt.com" <lgreenwood(a)srt.com> writes:

> On Jul 26, 1:27�pm, <ah...(a)no-spam-panix.com> wrote:
> > Christopher Muto <m...(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:

> > > looks like media is no longer an option on even the vostro or inspiron
> > > laptops... �the only ones i see with media are some vostro desktops
> > > with windows 7 pro or optiplex and vostro desktops that come with the
> > > windows xp pro 'downgrade'. � this is dells offical position on the
> > > windows media and what they curerntly offer for you to create your own
> > > recovery discs.
> > >http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19332656...
> >
> > The only mention of media I found was on configurations with an XP downgrade
> > built in. �I assume that means it comes with XP installed, and with a Win 7
> > disk. �
> >
> > I do not know if I want to mess with that.
> >
> > Any alternative vendors that sell with a real OS disk? �I think the answer
> > is no...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Hall
> > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
>
> I recently priced out a compact laptop on their website and they had
> an option of providing recovery CDs for $19.00...Larry

I believe the recovery CDs just have an image of the system, not a full
copy of the OS.

From: ahall on
Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:

> ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
> > Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:

> >> looks like media is no longer an option on even the vostro or inspiron
> >> laptops... the only ones i see with media are some vostro desktops
> >> with windows 7 pro or optiplex and vostro desktops that come with the
> >> windows xp pro 'downgrade'. this is dells offical position on the
> >> windows media and what they curerntly offer for you to create your own
> >> recovery discs.
> >> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19332656.aspx
> > The only mention of media I found was on configurations with an XP
> > downgrade
> > built in. I assume that means it comes with XP installed, and with
> > a Win 7 disk. I do not know if I want to mess with that.
> > Any alternative vendors that sell with a real OS disk? I think the
> > answer
> > is no...
> > Thanks,
> >

> no other major vendor has provided a 'real' a windows os disk in years
> (other than windows server). dell was the last and they only have it

Yes, that was my understanding, but it did not hurt to ask.

> on a few systems as mentioned. when ordering the windows xp
> 'downgrade' the machine does come pre-installed with xp but they
> provide both the xp pro and the 7 pro discs. i find it completely

I think I will go this way. I have never installed a Windows OS,
but I think I can handle it. Besides, that way I would get a clean
system, which is always nice.

I am currently leaning towards the Latitude 6410.

Do you know if there is a good student discount on Win 7? My son does
a fair amount of video and photo editing, and perhaps it would be better
to go for a 64 bit system. That does not seem to be an option with the
XP Downgrade route.

> absurd that dell does not offer an option at time of first boot for
> the user to select which os they want installed. it seems
> particularly stupid that they don't do this on their pre-built
> 'fasttrack' machines as it means they have to actually stock two
> prebuilt computers, one with windows 7 pro installed and another with
> windows xp installed. seem s like your only option for a 'real'
> windows 7 dvd is to buy one separately from the system.

Yes the dual boot would seem to make sense...

Thanks again,

From: Pen on
On 7/27/2010 12:08 AM, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
> Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
>> ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:

>>> The only mention of media I found was on configurations with an XP
>>> downgrade
>>> built in. I assume that means it comes with XP installed, and with
>>> a Win 7 disk. I do not know if I want to mess with that.
>>> Any alternative vendors that sell with a real OS disk? I think the
>>> answer
>>> is no...
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> no other major vendor has provided a 'real' a windows os disk in years
>> (other than windows server). dell was the last and they only have it
>
> Yes, that was my understanding, but it did not hurt to ask.
>
>> on a few systems as mentioned. when ordering the windows xp
>> 'downgrade' the machine does come pre-installed with xp but they
>> provide both the xp pro and the 7 pro discs. i find it completely
>
> I think I will go this way. I have never installed a Windows OS,
> but I think I can handle it. Besides, that way I would get a clean
> system, which is always nice.
>
> I am currently leaning towards the Latitude 6410.
>
> Do you know if there is a good student discount on Win 7? My son does
> a fair amount of video and photo editing, and perhaps it would be better
> to go for a 64 bit system. That does not seem to be an option with the
> XP Downgrade route.
>
>> absurd that dell does not offer an option at time of first boot for
>> the user to select which os they want installed. it seems
>> particularly stupid that they don't do this on their pre-built
>> 'fasttrack' machines as it means they have to actually stock two
>> prebuilt computers, one with windows 7 pro installed and another with
>> windows xp installed. seem s like your only option for a 'real'
>> windows 7 dvd is to buy one separately from the system.
>
> Yes the dual boot would seem to make sense...
>
> Thanks again,

A student discount on Win 7 is available for $30.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/201709/get_windows_7_professional_for_29_if_youre_a_student.html
From: Christopher Muto on
Pen wrote:
> On 7/27/2010 12:08 AM, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
>> Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:

>>> no other major vendor has provided a 'real' a windows os disk in years
>>> (other than windows server). dell was the last and they only have it
>> Yes, that was my understanding, but it did not hurt to ask.
>>
>>> on a few systems as mentioned. when ordering the windows xp
>>> 'downgrade' the machine does come pre-installed with xp but they
>>> provide both the xp pro and the 7 pro discs. i find it completely
>> I think I will go this way. I have never installed a Windows OS,
>> but I think I can handle it. Besides, that way I would get a clean
>> system, which is always nice.
>>
>> I am currently leaning towards the Latitude 6410.
>>
>> Do you know if there is a good student discount on Win 7? My son does
>> a fair amount of video and photo editing, and perhaps it would be better
>> to go for a 64 bit system. That does not seem to be an option with the
>> XP Downgrade route.
>>
>>> absurd that dell does not offer an option at time of first boot for
>>> the user to select which os they want installed. it seems
>>> particularly stupid that they don't do this on their pre-built
>>> 'fasttrack' machines as it means they have to actually stock two
>>> prebuilt computers, one with windows 7 pro installed and another with
>>> windows xp installed. seem s like your only option for a 'real'
>>> windows 7 dvd is to buy one separately from the system.
>> Yes the dual boot would seem to make sense...
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>

> A student discount on Win 7 is available for $30.
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/201709/get_windows_7_professional_for_29_if_youre_a_student.html

more specifically the $29 student copy of windows 7 pro is found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx
note there is an additional fee if you want physical media (a dvd) and
it appears you must have a valid email address at a university or college.

as for the op other question, thought it would work, i would not
recommend any laptop for video editing. lattitude models have
relatively small capacity hard disks making it even less appropriate for
video editing.
From: ahall on
Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:

> Pen wrote:

> >> Yes, that was my understanding, but it did not hurt to ask.

> >> I think I will go this way. I have never installed a Windows OS,
> >> but I think I can handle it. Besides, that way I would get a clean
> >> system, which is always nice.
> >>
> >> I am currently leaning towards the Latitude 6410.
> >>
> >> Do you know if there is a good student discount on Win 7? My son does
> >> a fair amount of video and photo editing, and perhaps it would be better
> >> to go for a 64 bit system. That does not seem to be an option with the
> >> XP Downgrade route.

> >> Yes the dual boot would seem to make sense...
> >>
> >> Thanks again,
> >>

> > A student discount on Win 7 is available for $30.
> > http://www.pcworld.com/article/201709/get_windows_7_professional_for_29_if_youre_a_student.html
>
> more specifically the $29 student copy of windows 7 pro is found here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx
> note there is an additional fee if you want physical media (a dvd) and
> it appears you must have a valid email address at a university or
> college.
>
> as for the op other question, thought it would work, i would not
> recommend any laptop for video editing. lattitude models have
> relatively small capacity hard disks making it even less appropriate
> for video editing.

You can go to 500 gig native, and there are external much bigger. A
laptop is the way to go for college. Clearly a big desktop is better
overall for video, but compromises have to be made...

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Image to an SSD drive
Next: Hal.dll trouble