From: Daddy on
On 7/26/2010 12:50 PM, RnR wrote:
> In article<i2kbga$8ph$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> daddy(a)invalid.invalid says...
>>
>> On 7/25/2010 11:05 PM, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
>>>
>>> It is time to buy my last college PC (youngest kid
>>> is about to leave).
>>>
>>> I read here a while ago that Dell stopped shipping
>>> real OS disks, but there was at least one exception.
>>> I do not remember which laptop was the exception.
>>>
>>> Anyone know?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>

>> Do "any" Dell laptops come with discs? Probably; Dell sells all kinds of
>> laptops. Do any of the laptops commonly available to consumers come with
>> discs? Not any more, unfortunately.
>

> Not true unless you mean directly from Dell. I got a new dell recently
> from BB and it had a couple of discs.

RnR is correct, but if you're buying a Dell from a third-party, you've
got other considerations to think about. Like, who's going to help you
if you have a problem? [Dell: "Not our problem, talk to Best Buy." Best
Buy: Not our problem, talk to Dell.]

--
Daddy
From: ahall on
Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:

> Christopher Muto wrote:
> > ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
> >> It is time to buy my last college PC (youngest kid
> >> is about to leave).
> >>
> >> I read here a while ago that Dell stopped shipping
> >> real OS disks, but there was at least one exception.
> >> I do not remember which laptop was the exception.
> >>
> >> Anyone know?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> > can't speak for any recent purchases in the home division, but the
> > vostro and latitude laptops generally come with media... but pay
> > close attention to the description of the os to be sure that it is
> > 'with media' as some configurations do not come with media.
>
> looks like media is no longer an option on even the vostro or inspiron
> laptops... the only ones i see with media are some vostro desktops
> with windows 7 pro or optiplex and vostro desktops that come with the
> windows xp pro 'downgrade'. this is dells offical position on the
> windows media and what they curerntly offer for you to create your own
> recovery discs.
> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19332656.aspx

The only mention of media I found was on configurations with an XP downgrade
built in. I assume that means it comes with XP installed, and with a Win 7
disk.

I do not know if I want to mess with that.

Any alternative vendors that sell with a real OS disk? I think the answer
is no...

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
From: RnR on
In article <i2kmtg$s6g$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
daddy(a)invalid.invalid says...

> On 7/26/2010 12:50 PM, RnR wrote:
> > In article<i2kbga$8ph$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > daddy(a)invalid.invalid says...

> >> Do "any" Dell laptops come with discs? Probably; Dell sells all kinds of
> >> laptops. Do any of the laptops commonly available to consumers come with
> >> discs? Not any more, unfortunately.
> >

> > Not true unless you mean directly from Dell. I got a new dell recently
> > from BB and it had a couple of discs.
>
> RnR is correct, but if you're buying a Dell from a third-party, you've
> got other considerations to think about. Like, who's going to help you
> if you have a problem? [Dell: "Not our problem, talk to Best Buy." Best
> Buy: Not our problem, talk to Dell.]

That I agree with 100% .... and to the OP, don't copy me because I was
in a rush and am in a position that I can live with either choice. If I
wasn't in a rush, I would prefer to buy directly from Dell tho I had no
problem with BB.
From: Christopher Muto on
ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
> Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
>> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> can't speak for any recent purchases in the home division, but the
>>> vostro and latitude laptops generally come with media... but pay
>>> close attention to the description of the os to be sure that it is
>>> 'with media' as some configurations do not come with media.
>> looks like media is no longer an option on even the vostro or inspiron
>> laptops... the only ones i see with media are some vostro desktops
>> with windows 7 pro or optiplex and vostro desktops that come with the
>> windows xp pro 'downgrade'. this is dells offical position on the
>> windows media and what they curerntly offer for you to create your own
>> recovery discs.
>> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19332656.aspx
>
> The only mention of media I found was on configurations with an XP downgrade
> built in. I assume that means it comes with XP installed, and with a Win 7
> disk.
>
> I do not know if I want to mess with that.
>
> Any alternative vendors that sell with a real OS disk? I think the answer
> is no...
>
> Thanks,

no other major vendor has provided a 'real' a windows os disk in years
(other than windows server). dell was the last and they only have it on
a few systems as mentioned. when ordering the windows xp 'downgrade'
the machine does come pre-installed with xp but they provide both the xp
pro and the 7 pro discs. i find it completely absurd that dell does not
offer an option at time of first boot for the user to select which os
they want installed. it seems particularly stupid that they don't do
this on their pre-built 'fasttrack' machines as it means they have to
actually stock two prebuilt computers, one with windows 7 pro installed
and another with windows xp installed. seem s like your only option for
a 'real' windows 7 dvd is to buy one separately from the system.
From: lgreenwood on
On Jul 26, 1:27 pm, <ah...(a)no-spam-panix.com> wrote:
> Christopher Muto <m...(a)worldnet.att.net> writes:
> > Christopher Muto wrote:

> > > can't speak for any recent purchases in the home division, but the
> > > vostro and latitude laptops generally come with media... but pay
> > > close attention to the description of the os to be sure that it is
> > > 'with media' as some configurations do not come with media.
>
> > looks like media is no longer an option on even the vostro or inspiron
> > laptops...  the only ones i see with media are some vostro desktops
> > with windows 7 pro or optiplex and vostro desktops that come with the
> > windows xp pro 'downgrade'.   this is dells offical position on the
> > windows media and what they curerntly offer for you to create your own
> > recovery discs.
> >http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19332656...
>
> The only mention of media I found was on configurations with an XP downgrade
> built in.  I assume that means it comes with XP installed, and with a Win 7
> disk.
>
> I do not know if I want to mess with that.
>
> Any alternative vendors that sell with a real OS disk?  I think the answer
> is no...
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

I recently priced out a compact laptop on their website and they had
an option of providing recovery CDs for $19.00...Larry
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Image to an SSD drive
Next: Hal.dll trouble