From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

Mike Jr <n00spam(a)comcast.net> writes:
> Regarding Boyd and his decision loop you are again right on. It's
> what the US military is trying to do to the Taliban.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#55 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#63 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking

note marine warfighting was rewritten based on boyd and his ooda-loops
.... and his writings, library and other stuff went to quantico after he
died ... and it was the marines that were at arlington.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boyd_%28military_strategist%29

a little Boyd x-over with '92 incident going into the red and
what were the executives thinking:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#58 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#64 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking

one of the stories he told in his briefings was about air force missle
and the people doing it, who didn't have good appreciation for the
nuances of dogfights (even tho in their demos the missle hits the flares
on drones everytime). roll forward to vietnam and the missle is
performing like he predicted ... until finally the general in vietnam
grounds all fighters until they are refitted with sidewinders. it lasts
3 months until the higher ups in the pentagon (notice the numbers? and)
have him replaced and called on the carpet. the generals in the pentagon
are focused on service budget share. using sidewinders means winning
more dogfights, loosing fewer planes and pilots, needing fewer
replacements and reducing budget requirements. however, he had commited
the worst possible sin by using sidewinders and increasing navy budget
share (there was some reference to the air force academy turning out
accountants).

news item from today ...

GM Cars to Get F-16 Fighter Jet Display Technology
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100325/sc_livescience/gmcarstogetf16fighterjetdisplaytechnology

Boyd was responsible for F16 (forces behind the F15 tried to get him
convicted of stealing tens of millions in gov. property ... i.e. the
supercomputer time he was using for the F16 design) ... but he objected
to the early HUD in F16 ... a lot of scrolling digital numbers ... which
he claimed were pure distraction in hostile engagement (converting
scrolling digital numbers to meaning was incompatible tempo with what
would be going on).

Above also has some x-over with the C4 taskforce reference.

misc. past posts mentioning either the air force missle story and/or
attempts to have him thrown in Leavenworth for the rest of his life (for
doing f16)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#120 atomic History
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007h.html#75 John W. Backus, 82, Fortran developer, dies
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#6 John W. Backus, 82, Fortran developer, dies
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008c.html#43 Current Officers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008c.html#52 Current Officers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#83 F111 related discussion x-over from Facebook
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#38 The 50th Anniversary of the Legendary IBM 1401
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#62 Did anybody ever build a Simon?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#94 Daylight Savings Time again
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#76 Senior Java Developer vs. MVS Systems Programmer (warning: Conley rant)

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Robert Myers on
On Mar 22, 10:59 am, j...(a)cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:
> In article <ho7h4o$e4...(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>
> ahlstr...(a)launchmodem.com (Chris Ahlstrom) wrote:
> > How is Window's support for supercomputer clusters?
>
> Well, it exists, a bit. There's a version of Windows Server that's
> intended to be distributed across many x86-64 modes. Its main selling
> point is that you don't need those snobby, awkward Linux/UNIX people to
> run it; your corporate Windows support people can supposedly handle it.
>
> The general reaction from potential customers has apparently been "Huh?"
> although apparently a few corporations have signed up.

If Microsoft turned out a really good bare-metal hypervisor, things
could change quickly.

Robert.
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> writes:
> old '79 email referencing AFDS deciding to increase 43xx order from 20
> to 210
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#email740404b
> in this post
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#15 departmental servers

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#64 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking

finger slip ... email790404b (not email740404b)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#email790404b

same email also posted in multics n.g. (since afds was big multics
shop)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#email790404
in
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#12 Multics Nostalgia

some from ctss had gone to the 5th flr of 545 tech sq for multics and
others had gone to the science center on the 4th flr and did virtual
machines & cp40 ... on a 360/40 modified with virtual memory
hardware. when standard product with virtual memory became available
cp40 morphed into cp67 (for the 360/67). later cp67 morphed into vm370.
misc. past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

then there is this news item from last year

IBM pureScale Technology Redefines Transaction Processing Economics. New
DB2 Feature Sets the Bar for System Performance on More than 100 IBM
Power Systems
http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/28593.wss

that I reference in post on "From The Annals of Release No Software
Before Its Time"
http;//www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#43

other posts with comments:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#35 DB2 announces technology that trumps Oracle RAC and Exadata
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#42 big iron mainframe vs. x86 servers

past posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#50 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#52 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#55 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#56 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#57 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#58 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#60 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#61 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#70 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#73 Handling multicore CPUs; what the competition is thinking

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970