From: elwyn on
Hi

I have an old computer that I wish to give away. How can I format the hard
drive? I do not have any operating system or Windows discs.

Many thanks

Elwyn

From: John Orion on
you can go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and download a Windows 98 boot disk
(if you have a floppy on the pc) then just boot to it and at the prompt type
'format c: /u /s' without the quotes

hope this helps,
John

From: John John on
Get a Windows 98 startup boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ You
have to download the bootdisk file to your hard drive then create the
floppy diskette, just execute the file that you downloaded and it will
guide you.

Boot the computer with the startup diskette. You might have to go in
the computer BIOS and set the boot order so that the diskette is first
on the list. Once booted with with the diskette run fdisk and
delete the partition(s). After you delete the partition(s) create a new
one. Reboot the computer and format the drive.

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
Repartition a Hard Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867/

If you find that you can't delete the NTFS partition and get caught in
the "logical drive" loop download delpart.exe and use it to delete the
partition. You use delpart at the same stage as fdisk, after you boot
with the startup diskette above you use it instead of fdisk. If there
is enough room on the floppy diskette you can put it on the same startup
floppy, if not copy it to a different diskette so that you can use it
while booted to DOS. Delpart is available here:

http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm

John

From: John John on
An afterthought, you could just use Darik's Boot and Nuke disk. It will
securely wipe the disk instead of just doing a simple format.
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

John

From: Patrick Keenan on
"elwyn" <elwyn.meredith(a)999btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have an old computer that I wish to give away. How can I format the hard
> drive? I do not have any operating system or Windows discs.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Elwyn

Take the drive out, and temporarily attach it to your system, and format it
from there, and as another step to deter the casual inquirer, remove and
re-create the partition table and format again. You can also find
drive-wiping software that will help.

If there is data on that drive that must absolutely not get out, you'll have
to physically destroy the disk platters.

HTH
-pk