From: mozer on
Hi, i'm running Windows XP SP2 with an external dvd/cd-rom on a P4 2.6 Ghz
448Mb RAM laptop. My internal cd-rom will only read data cd's and dvd's so I
bought an external removable device. The external dvd/cd-rom loads software
fine but my problem is when I use it to play games. Five to ten minutes into
the game the computer completely shuts down and I have to press the power
button to restart. I've read many of the threads similar to mine. I've
checked event viewer and found 2 errors next to each other. The first one
that occured is: source:disk
event id:11 decrip: the drive detected a controller error
on\Device\Harddisk O\D
The second error is: source:atapi event id:9 discrip: did not resond
within the timeout period. I've also checked sevices.msc but I don't want to
mess with it. Could you please help? ty- bewildered
--
mozer
From: Og on
"In almost all cases, these messages are being posted due to hardware
problems with either the controller or, more likely, a device that is
attached to the controller in question."
"How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error
messages:"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690
Steve

From: Og on
Sorry -- I posted the link for the wrong Operating System.
For Windows XP:
"How to troubleshoot error messages about Event ID 9 and Event ID 11"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314093/
Steve

From: C.Joseph Drayton on
mozer wrote:
> Hi, i'm running Windows XP SP2 with an external dvd/cd-rom on a P4 2.6 Ghz
> 448Mb RAM laptop. My internal cd-rom will only read data cd's and dvd's so I
> bought an external removable device. The external dvd/cd-rom loads software
> fine but my problem is when I use it to play games. Five to ten minutes into
> the game the computer completely shuts down and I have to press the power
> button to restart. I've read many of the threads similar to mine. I've
> checked event viewer and found 2 errors next to each other. The first one
> that occured is: source:disk
> event id:11 decrip: the drive detected a controller error
> on\Device\Harddisk O\D
> The second error is: source:atapi event id:9 discrip: did not resond
> within the timeout period. I've also checked sevices.msc but I don't want to
> mess with it. Could you please help? ty- bewildered

Hi Mozer,

I would guess that the external CD/DVD is a USB device.

If that is the case, is your USB port 1.1 or 2.0. If the device is
2.0 and your port is 1.1 that maybe your problem.

When I see a device timeout error, I normally assume that the
requesting application is not getting the requested data fast
enough. Games if they are graphical tend to want the data very fast.

Note that the drive can actually work with some programs and not
others because some programs allow Windows to determine the timeout
period whereas programs like games because they need data fast will
have its own data flow monitor and it may feel that the data is not
coming in fast enough.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

"When hope is lost . . . the spirit dies."
-- Lao Tzu

http://www.tlerma.com/
From: mozer on

--