From: Folkert Rienstra on
Sam wrote in news:sh2Ii.4566$A55.2757(a)pd7urf2no
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:5lb98fF6mgoqU1(a)mid.individual.net...
> > Sam <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
> > > highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The values
> > > are below:
> >
> > > Should I be concerned?
> >
> > Not if that number doesnt increase.

> So just watch these two values?
>
> (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
> (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

No.
From: Rod Speed on
Sam <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sam <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My Maxtor 6L250R0, only a couple years old now is showing a yellow
>>> highlighted bar for the Reallocated Sector count in HD Tune. The
>>> values are below:
>>
>>> Should I be concerned?
>>
>> Not if that number doesnt increase.
>
> So just watch these two values?
>
> (05) Reallocated Sector Count 253 253 63 1
> (C5) Current Pending Sector 253 253 0 0

Yep.

From: Sam on

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to(a)myweb.nl> wrote in message
: :
: Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
: "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".
:
: The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

The issue is NOT the CRC error, which was from a bad IDE drive cable
from a previous computer where the HD came from but the Reallocated
Sector count warning.

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Sam <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:

> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to(a)myweb.nl> wrote in message
> : :
> : Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
> : "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".
> :
> : The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

> The issue is NOT the CRC error, which was from a bad IDE drive cable
> from a previous computer where the HD came from but the Reallocated
> Sector count warning.

Don't mind Folkert. He cannot read.

Arno
From: Folkert Rienstra on
Sam wrote in news:KeEIi.207686$fJ5.133133(a)pd7urf1no
> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to(a)myweb.nl> wrote in message news:46f2942e$0$47118$892e7fe2(a)authen.yellow.readfreenews.net...
> > >
> > > Besides, with this hard drive I first began suspecting something wasn't
> > > right by noticing some performance issues and corruption of files.
> > >
> > Which obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the high
> > "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count".
> >
> > The babblebots not having a clue, as always.

> The issue is NOT the CRC error,

You don't know that.
It's the only source for data corruption and another for performance is-
sues. Not when the drive is in UDMA mode but when the OS dumbs down
to MW-DMA or PIO mode due to too many errors and then there's no Ul-
tra DMA CRC Error recovery anymore and corruption occurs undetected.

> which was from a bad IDE drive cable from a previous computer.

It may be back.

> where the HD came from but the Reallocated Sector count warning.

Bad sectors do not cause corruption, they either can be read or they
can not. Data loss yes, corruption no.

You are looking for a reason to RMA.
Interface errors should do. One bad dector does not.