From: JediSpork on
Had a problem with my first wd green drive. Using the replacement now.
Sometimes when I reboot the drive will show up as empty in windows
ready to be formatted. Now it stays this way and the only way to
access is through a linux cd. I've tried wiping the drive and
creating a brand new partition but after reboot the problem is back.
Also tried doing a full scan for errors and bad sectors and everything
shows up fine.

Does this sound like another faulty drive?

thanks
From: Flasherly on
On May 14, 10:54 pm, JediSpork <jedisp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Had a problem with my first wd green drive. Using the replacement now.
> Sometimes when I reboot the drive will show up as empty in windows
> ready to be formatted. Now it stays this way and the only way to
> access is through a linux cd. I've tried wiping the drive and
> creating a brand new partition but after reboot the problem is back.
> Also tried doing a full scan for errors and bad sectors and everything
> shows up fine.
>
> Does this sound like another faulty drive?
>
> thanks

Probably formatted it out NTFS. Good 'ol NTFS and scrambled eggs.
Lost one not long ago, and unless you cook with working on secondary
drive FAT and backup transferals of a drive's NTFS, it can be messy.
1T Samsung here that recently took a glitch. Twitched and a second
later say bye-bye to everything. Took me some heavy duty utilities to
straighten the mess out -- thankfully able to do it at max USB 2.0
speeds, but only within the program's environment and ability to do
restorative copies. Add to that my MB's drive support limit of around
750G, hence USB transfers (until SATA3 PCI controllers get off their
$40 perch).

After all that restorative work, I upgraded Windows' NTFS to various
(almost entirely) FAT32 denominations with EASEUS Partition Master.
Very weird seeing EASEUS being able to get like 500G-1T logical FAT32
partitions, although I do keep a small 'un for NTFS and downsizing any
larger-sized files that FAT32 won't natively handle. [Yep, I think we
should blast off and nuke it]. . .it's the only way to be sure. -Alien
II
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on
> access is through a linux cd. I've tried wiping the drive and
> creating a brand new partition but after reboot the problem is back.
> Also tried doing a full scan for errors and bad sectors and everything
> shows up fine.

Better list ALL the stuff in your PC first.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.33.3
From: John Doe on
Flasherly <Flasherly live.com> wrote:

> JediSpork <jedisp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> Had a problem with my first wd green drive. Using the
>> replacement now. Sometimes when I reboot the drive will show up
>> as empty in windows ready to be formatted. Now it stays this
>> way and the only way to access is through a linux cd. I've
>> tried wiping the drive and creating a brand new partition but
>> after reboot the problem is back. Also tried doing a full scan
>> for errors and bad sectors and everything shows up fine.
>>
>> Does this sound like another faulty drive?

Sounds like a faulty system. Try it in a different computer.

> Probably formatted it out NTFS. Good 'ol NTFS and scrambled
> eggs. Lost one not long ago, and unless you cook with working on
> secondary drive FAT and backup transferals of a drive's NTFS, it
> can be messy.

Another translation is in order.

I have no trouble with NTFS even while doing serious disk
gymnastics. In many years of making backup copies of Windows,
here, the NTFS file system has never been a suspect for a problem.
I cannot even recall anyone here complaining about the NTFS file
system.
From: Flasherly on
On May 15, 8:51 am, John Doe <j...(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
> Flasherly <Flasherly live.com> wrote:
> > JediSpork <jedisp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Had a problem with my first wd green drive. Using the
> >> replacement now. Sometimes when I reboot the drive will show up
> >> as empty in windows ready to be formatted. Now it stays this
> >> way and the only way to access is through a linux cd. I've
> >> tried wiping the drive and creating a brand new partition but
> >> after reboot the problem is back. Also tried doing a full scan
> >> for errors and bad sectors and everything shows up fine.
>
> >> Does this sound like another faulty drive?
>
> Sounds like a faulty system. Try it in a different computer.
>
> > Probably formatted it out NTFS. Good 'ol NTFS and scrambled
> > eggs. Lost one not long ago, and unless you cook with working on
> > secondary drive FAT and backup transferals of a drive's NTFS, it
> > can be messy.
>
> Another translation is in order.
>
> I have no trouble with NTFS even while doing serious disk
> gymnastics. In many years of making backup copies of Windows,
> here, the NTFS file system has never been a suspect for a problem.
> I cannot even recall anyone here complaining about the NTFS file
> system.

There aren't as many approaches to disk utilities as once there were
with FAT16/20/32, and I realize many do find NTFS convenient, as well
secure, self-optimizing, and etc. I've lost NTFS drives/partitions a
few times, (not so many), although tentatively I may be doing more
serious gymnastics. In every case, in my experience, it was
disastrously the worst possible case scenario. To define such a hell
on disk drives -- that would be, once the NTFS's file allocation table
is corrupted, kiss it off. There aren't "easy pickings" for getting
into a disk crash to remedy the problem, once Windows comes back up
and refuses to recognize drive partitioning -- ascribing the error in
Microsoft terms to a UNIX variant. However, I did surmount the
problem and got near 800+G back, as new, pristine, without any data
corruption -- but we *would* have to talk serious gymnastics to go
through the procedure (took me near a week of copying to do).

What it boils down to, in a nutshell -- is if I crash this computer
while writing to HDs formatted in FAT32, what I expect to subsequently
find -- are the last entries being written to are hosed and pretty
much the extent of the damage done. Not the whole goddamn HD. Like I
said, I've been burnt before with NTFS -- so I've come to the
realization about how to be careful with NTFS. Care #1 being, I
flatout don't trust it in a critical sense.