From: rdoc on

"Ray Fischer" <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote in message
> rdoc <beep(a)this.net> wrote:
>>...one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You know
>>the
>>ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button. Are they legit
>>any degree, ie... can you get a half depression then the full?
>
> They worked when cameras used film and were mechanical. If you look
> at an older SLR you'll see that the shutter button often had a
> threaded hole for a shutter release.
>
> Nowadays they're all electronic. Wireless, ethernet, internet, wired,
> etc. No bulbs.

Ahhhhhhh... there's what I did not see in the sales ad... I thought is
somehow worked without screwing in and wondered how it attached. Yes... even
my S9000 has a thread hole on the button and, in fact, the non-air cable is
how I used to do it. Thanks for clearing that up... either it was poorly
communicated or I poorly read it.

From: rdoc on

"Ofnuts" <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote in message
> On 18/03/2010 03:31, rdoc wrote:
>> ...one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You know
>> the
>> ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button. Are they legit
>> any degree, ie... can you get a half depression then the full?
>
> Just curious: why aren't you using the electric remote control?

The camera I am considering (Kx) only has an IR remote and I would have
liked a work-around.

From: Neil Ellwood on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:41:04 -0400, Bowser wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:31:03 -0400, "rdoc" <beep(a)this.net> wrote:
>
>>...one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You know
>>the ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button. Are they
>>legit to any degree, ie... can you get a half depression then the full?
>>

> I still have mine. But none of my cameras can use it since it uses a
> "standard" shutter release screw thread.

Is that a 'compur' or a 'leica' thread? A few cameras had both i.e. the
Miranda D (which also had two shutter releases, one on the top plate and
one on the front co-axially with the lens.

--
neil
Reverse 'r' + 'a' and remove 'l'.
From: Bowser on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:43:25 -0500, Neil Ellwood
<cral.elllwood2(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:41:04 -0400, Bowser wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:31:03 -0400, "rdoc" <beep(a)this.net> wrote:
>>
>>>...one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You know
>>>the ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button. Are they
>>>legit to any degree, ie... can you get a half depression then the full?
>>>

>> I still have mine. But none of my cameras can use it since it uses a
>> "standard" shutter release screw thread.
>
>Is that a 'compur' or a 'leica' thread? A few cameras had both i.e. the
>Miranda D (which also had two shutter releases, one on the top plate and
>one on the front co-axially with the lens.

I think so, but I've never heard the official name for those threads.
They're the usual cone-chaped threads in the middle of the shutter
release. I haven't seen them in quite a while. Of course, my old
yashica Mat 124G has them. But who shoots film?
From: rwalker on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:08:04 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:

>I think so, but I've never heard the official name for those threads.
>They're the usual cone-chaped threads in the middle of the shutter
>release. I haven't seen them in quite a while. Of course, my old
>yashica Mat 124G has them. But who shoots film?

I do. I still use my cable release with my Pentax 67s, my Yashica D,
and my Nikon FG20 when I dust it off about once a year.