From: rdoc on
....one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You know the
ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button. Are they legit to
any degree, ie... can you get a half depression then the full?

From: Frank ess on

rdoc wrote:
> ...one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You
> know the ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button.
> Are they legit to any degree, ie... can you get a half depression
> then the full?

http://home.roadrunner.com/~fsheff/pictures/frkrir8s.jpg

I used one to make this picture at a Riverside Raceway test day in
about 1984. I was getting ready to try for an effect with a wide-angle
lens on a camera sitting at the edge of the racing surface. You can
see some of the remote release and its spool on the ground. It didn't
work as well as I had hoped, but some of the photos are dramatic. I
was afraid to put the camera closer to the edge of the pavement.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BF5F1F30B-F72A-49A3-AAD5-088DC68388F5%7D/origpict/conte84_04b.jpg

The long tube was flexible enough that it was either full or none, as
I remember. I used a shorter tube to trigger a camera on a monopod
which I held high as I could above a crowd, to get a unique view. That
was on a Canon A1 with 24mm lens.

I'd say "Yes", legit, "Not easy", on the half-press.

--
Frank ess

From: Ofnuts on
On 18/03/2010 03:31, rdoc wrote:
> ...one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You know the
> ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button. Are they legit to
> any degree, ie... can you get a half depression then the full?

Just curious: why aren't you using the electric remote control?
--
Bertrand
From: Ray Fischer on
rdoc <beep(a)this.net> wrote:
>...one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You know the
>ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button. Are they legit to
>any degree, ie... can you get a half depression then the full?

They worked when cameras used film and were mechanical. If you look
at an older SLR you'll see that the shutter button often had a
threaded hole for a shutter release.

Nowadays they're all electronic. Wireless, ethernet, internet, wired,
etc. No bulbs.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Bowser on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:31:03 -0400, "rdoc" <beep(a)this.net> wrote:

>...one of those hokey-looking bulb shutter release hose deals? You know the
>ones that use a pump of air to depress the shutter button. Are they legit to
>any degree, ie... can you get a half depression then the full?

I still have mine. But none of my cameras can use it since it uses a
"standard" shutter release screw thread.