From: Stephen Rasey on
I have a user function that creates a hash value from the contents of a
range. It uses the CryptAcqureContext and CryptCreateHash functions in the
advapi32 library. These have worked splendidly on a WinXP SP2, Office 2003
system. They have worked on several other systems without trouble.

I have a new computer using Windows Media Center. I loaded Office 2003,
then Office 2007 keeping the Office 2003 applications.

The CryptAcquireContext function returns a zero in the hProv argument
instead of some non-zero long integer. This tells me that the reference to
Lib advapi32 is mixed up, or there is some incompatibility between this
function and Windows Media Center (which I have trouble believing).

I have un-installed Office 2007,
Rebooted.
Repaired Office 2003 Prof.
Rebooted.
CryptAcquireContext hProv, ..... hProv = 0. wrong.
Un-installed Office 2003.
Reboot.
Install Office 2003 Prof. Complete.
Reboot.
CryptAcquireContext hProv,.... hProv = 0. Still not working.

checked advapi32.dll.
Version is the same as on the Winbook, WinXP SP2, Off 2003 where it works
well.
it is located in the same place: C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll.

Additionally, my Outlook will not remember my email passwords.

My feeling is the registry is a mess at this point. Anyone recommend a
good registry clean-up tool?

I'm about to implement KB290301 "Windows installer cleanup utility" to try
and go after some registration issues.

From: Stephen Rasey on
The application runs fine on another computer running Media Center. So
there is no innate conflict between the CryptAcquireContext in lib
advapi32.dll and Media Center.

This Computer's windows installation appears hopelessly corrupted. I don't
know what happened. The only thing that I can blame is the installing of
Office 2003, then Office 2007 for a dual version Office Development Platform
caused all this grief. I don't know Office 2007 is the cause, but I don't
think I'll try it again anytime soon.

Stephen Rasey
Houston