From: jessica6 on
I recently purchased the Hauppauge HVR 2250, and found this
documentation to make it work:

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - LinuxTVWiki
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200

I followed the steps, and got no errors.
The relevant dmesg output when I boot:

===
saa7164 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APC6] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -
> IRQ 16
CORE saa7164[0]: subsystem: 0070:8891, board: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2250
[card=7,autodetected]
saa7164[0]/0: found at 0000:02:00.0, rev: 129, irq: 16, latency: 0,
mmio: 0xdf400000
saa7164 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] GUID[001e8c0001b213a8]
saa7164_downloadfirmware() no first image
saa7164_downloadfirmware() Waiting for firmware upload (v4l-
saa7164-1.0.3.fw)
firmware: requesting v4l-saa7164-1.0.3.fw
saa7164_downloadfirmware() firmware read 3978608 bytes.
saa7164_downloadfirmware() firmware loaded.
Firmware file header part 1:
..FirmwareSize = 0x0
..BSLSize = 0x0
..Reserved = 0x3cb57
..Version = 0x3
saa7164_downloadfirmware() SecBootLoader.FileSize = 3978608
saa7164_downloadfirmware() FirmwareSize = 0x1fd6
saa7164_downloadfirmware() BSLSize = 0x0
saa7164_downloadfirmware() Reserved = 0x0
saa7164_downloadfirmware() Version = 0x51cc1
saa7164_downloadimage() Image downloaded, booting...
saa7164_downloadimage() Image booted successfully.
starting firmware download(2)
saa7164_downloadimage() Image downloaded, booting...
saa7164_downloadimage() Image booted successfully.
firmware download complete.
tveeprom 2-0000: Hauppauge model 88061, rev C3F2, serial# 6254023
tveeprom 2-0000: MAC address is 00-0D-FE-5F-6D-C7
tveeprom 2-0000: tuner model is NXP 18271C2_716x (idx 152, type 4)
tveeprom 2-0000: TV standards NTSC(M) ATSC/DVB Digital (eeprom 0x88)
tveeprom 2-0000: audio processor is SAA7164 (idx 43)
tveeprom 2-0000: decoder processor is SAA7164 (idx 40)
tveeprom 2-0000: has radio, has IR receiver, has no IR transmitter
saa7164[0]: Hauppauge eeprom: model=88061
tda18271 3-0060: creating new instance
TDA18271HD/C2 detected @ 3-0060
DVB: registering new adapter (saa7164)
DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB
Frontend)...
tda18271 4-0060: creating new instance
TDA18271HD/C2 detected @ 4-0060
tda18271: performing RF tracking filter calibration
tda18271: RF tracking filter calibration complete
DVB: registering new adapter (saa7164)
DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB
Frontend)...
Adding 2104472k swap on /dev/sda5. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:
2104472k
device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.14.0-ioctl (2008-04-23) initialised: dm-
devel(a)redhat.com
loop: module loaded
===

But when I run kdetv, I don't seem to have any valid device.
But if I go to the 'video' settings of kdetv, I see:

Video4Linux2 Plugin
Video4Linux Plugin
XVideo Plugin

all are checked

The output of lsmod:

Module Size Used by
bridge 47772 1
stp 2248 1 bridge
bnep 11536 2
sco 9600 2
rfcomm 34528 0
l2cap 19864 6 bnep,rfcomm
bluetooth 53012 6 bnep,sco,rfcomm,l2cap
vboxnetadp 79160 0
vboxnetflt 85928 0
vboxdrv 120368 1 vboxnetflt
ipv6 242000 24
snd_pcm_oss 43132 0
snd_mixer_oss 14288 1 snd_pcm_oss
binfmt_misc 7740 1
snd_seq 51920 0
snd_seq_device 7168 1 snd_seq
cpufreq_conservative 6476 0
cpufreq_userspace 3112 0
cpufreq_powersave 1640 0
acpi_cpufreq 6796 3
speedstep_lib 3884 0
fuse 50596 5
loop 14064 0
dm_mod 62608 0
tda18271 33396 2
s5h1411 9064 2
joydev 8944 0
saa7164 55436 0
dvb_core 83684 1 saa7164
snd_hda_intel 433092 2
usbhid 45620 0
jedec_probe 12384 0
snd_pcm 77012 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
nvidia 9569132 26
ohci1394 27652 0
cfi_probe 5404 0
snd_timer 20204 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
gen_probe 3212 2 jedec_probe,cfi_probe
hid 35568 1 usbhid
tveeprom 11348 1 saa7164
snd_page_alloc 8184 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
ieee1394 83764 1 ohci1394
snd_hwdep 7160 1 snd_hda_intel
sr_mod 13360 0
rtc_cmos 10896 0
button 6568 0
pcspkr 2344 0
snd 56800 12 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,s
nd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
agpgart 32308 1 nvidia
rtc_core 17384 1 rtc_cmos
rtc_lib 2816 1 rtc_core
forcedeth 51584 0
mtd 14664 0
ff_memless 7132 1 usbhid
soundcore 6660 1 snd
cdrom 32288 1 sr_mod
serio_raw 5096 0
chipreg 2692 2 jedec_probe,cfi_probe
i2c_nforce2 7112 0
map_funcs 1648 0
i2c_core 29892 6 tda18271,s5h1411,saa7164,nvidia,tveeprom,i2c_nforc e2
sg 29408 0
ehci_hcd 48184 0
sd_mod 31624 6
ohci_hcd 30992 0
crc_t10dif 1704 1 sd_mod
usbcore 165892 4 usbhid,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
edd 8620 0
reiserfs 215996 3
fan 4720 0
ide_pci_generic 3428 0
amd74xx 5680 0
ide_core 97492 2 ide_pci_generic,amd74xx
ata_generic 4484 0
pata_amd 9992 0
sata_nv 21588 5
libata 161216 3 ata_generic,pata_amd,sata_nv
scsi_mod 149856 4 sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,libata
dock 11844 1 libata
thermal 19976 0
processor 43784 2 acpi_cpufreq,thermal
thermal_sys 11376 3 fan,thermal,processor
hwmon 2916 1 thermal_sys

==

Also, I have no /dev/video or /dev/video0

I've tried various modprobe commands:

modprobe bttv
modprobe tuner

After 'modprobe bttv', this shows up in the messages file:

bttv: driver version 0.9.18 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture

but still no /dev/video or /dev/video0

I tried to go into yast and add a TV Card, but couldn't find the
model. Closest (I thought) was the Hauppage WinTV-HVR1300 DVB-T/Hybrid
with a dual hybrid tuner. But this didn't seem to work either.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it!
I really don't want to boot over to Windows to watch TV.

Thanks!
From: Wolfgang Draxinger on
jessica6 wrote:

> I recently purchased the Hauppauge HVR 2250, and found this
> documentation to make it work:
>
> Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - LinuxTVWiki
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200
>
> I followed the steps, and got no errors.
> The relevant dmesg output when I boot:
>
> [dmesg outout]

Looks all fine.

> But when I run kdetv, I don't seem to have any valid device.
> But if I go to the 'video' settings of kdetv, I see:

That is because kdetv is Video4Linux only, and...

> Video4Linux2 Plugin
> Video4Linux Plugin
> XVideo Plugin
>
> all are checked

.... DVB/ATSC doesn't use Video4Linux. For that I have to explain a little
bit: Digital TV tuner cards are more like a recieve only digital interface.
Digital TV works by multiplexing several MPEG2 program streams (=TV
stations) into a single MPEG2 transport stream (and recently MPEG4 AVC in
MPEG4 transport). So a single frequency channel carries the signal of
multiple TV stations, all at once. This is what you tuner card actually
tunes into and hands over to the system, i.e. a MPEG transport stream,
consisting of several programs, that must be demuxed and decoded. You can
actually also record all the programs in the transport stream on a set
frequency at once (also watching one or several stations on that channel
and recording the others).

This is the big difference: A digital TV tuner by nature delivers you with a
multitude of programs at once, which must be separated before being shown.
Video4Linux OTOH more or less provides the naked image data of the one
station you tune into via /dev/video. So there's a substantial difference
in what the TV applications must so. kdetv will simply copy over the data
from /dev/video into a reserved portion of the framebuffer/X shared memory.

Now altough DVB and ATSC use different kinds of modulation and so forth, the
tuner hardware exposes them in the same way to the OS. DVB has a longer
history than ATSC so historically there were first DVB modules in the
kernel, which were then used for ATSC, too.

Your lsmod output:
> dvb_core 83684 1 saa7164
^^^^^^^^
There it is. So you're all set

> Also, I have no /dev/video or /dev/video0

Naturally. Look for /dev/dvb :-)

For digital TV you actually must use some kind of media player. Think of
Xine, MPlayer, VLC, Kaffeine, Totem and so, they will provide a DVB mode
(which also does ATSC).

If you look in Kaffeine, there's a designated mode "Digital TV". That's what
you want.

Wolfgang Draxinger

P.S.: ATSC suffers from the NIH (not invented here) syndrome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Digital_broadcast_standards.svg

Instead of adopting the well established European standard DVB the americans
had to implement their own digital system, and just like NTSC got it messed
up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_(standards)#Mobile_TV

Even when moving at high speeds with DVB you can watch TV well (think of
commercial airliners here). BTDT.

From: jessica6 on
On Oct 10, 8:00 am, Wolfgang Draxinger <wdraxin...(a)darkstargames.de>
wrote:
> [...]
> There it is. So you're all set
>
> > Also, I have no /dev/video or /dev/video0
>
> Naturally. Look for /dev/dvb :-)
>
> For digital TV you actually must use some kind of media player. Think of
> Xine, MPlayer, VLC, Kaffeine, Totem and so, they will provide a DVB mode
> (which also does ATSC).
>
> If you look in Kaffeine, there's a designated mode "Digital TV". That's what
> you want.
>
> Wolfgang Draxinger
>
> P.S.: ATSC suffers from the NIH (not invented here) syndrome.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Digital_broadcast_standards.svg
>
> Instead of adopting the well established European standard DVB the americans
> had to implement their own digital system, and just like NTSC got it messed
> up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_(standards)#Mobile_TV
>
> Even when moving at high speeds with DVB you can watch TV well (think of

Wolfgang:

Thanks for the tip!
Yes, I do have a /dev/dvb directory, containing 2 more directories:

adapter0 adapter1

They each contain:

demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0

I think this makes sense, because this TV card has dual tuner.

I fired up kaffeine, and it sees both adapters. However, I can't get
any channels.
There's a DVB section with "Configure DVB". If I go here, I see
several options for tuner type:

us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
us-Cable-EIA-542-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-EIA-542-IRC-center_frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-IRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256
us-CA-SF-Bay-Area
us-ID-Boise
us-MA-Boston
us-MI-Lansing
us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
us-NY-TWC-NYC
us-PA-Philadelphia

As you pointed out, the US standard is ATSC, so that seems like the
logical choice.
However, after selecting that and trying to do a 'scan', I get zero
channels discovered.

In the foreground of kaffeine I see the following message repeated
over and over during the scan for each channel:

========
:~> Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 57028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 63028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 69028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 79028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB
Using DVB device 0:0 "Samsung S5H1411 QAM/8VSB Frontend"
tuning ATSC to 85028000
inv:2 mod:7

Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency
Frontend closed
dvbsi: Cant tune DVB

==========

Do I need manually update the "us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB" file
with correct frequencies for my area?
I thought they would be standard values.

In WinXP, I can use the WinTV 7 program which came with the card. It
works quite well, and picked up all the channels correctly when I did
the first "scan". I couldn't find any file in the Windows
installation directory containing frequencies though.

Any other help would be great.

Thanks again!
From: Wolfgang Draxinger on
jessica6 wrote:

> us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> us-Cable-EIA-542-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
> us-Cable-EIA-542-IRC-center_frequencies-QAM256
> us-Cable-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
> us-Cable-IRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
> us-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256
> us-CA-SF-Bay-Area
> us-ID-Boise
> us-MA-Boston
> us-MI-Lansing
> us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> us-NY-TWC-NYC
> us-PA-Philadelphia

> Do I need manually update the "us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB" file
> with correct frequencies for my area?
> I thought they would be standard values.

Technically yes. But for some silly reason in Europe - and AFAIK in the US,
too - stations didn't start to transmit nationwide on the same frequencies,
as it was planned. Instead in every region the assignment between stations
and frequencies varies, at least in Europe. Now my guess is, that you
should try one of the non Cable (and not NTSC) files, depending on where
you're located. So if you're living in or near San Francisco you'd
use "us-CA-SF-Bay-Area". If you're lazy, you could cat all the files into a
single one and use that for scanning. Takes longer, but will take into
account all the frequencies used in the US, as far those files is
concerned.

cat /usr/share/dvb/atsc/* | sort | grep -v '#' | uniq > ~/all-atsc

Like I, living in Munich, have to use dvb-t/de-Muenchen for scanning, but
normaly use a similar file for scanning.

> In WinXP, I can use the WinTV 7 program which came with the card. It
> works quite well, and picked up all the channels correctly when I did
> the first "scan". I couldn't find any file in the Windows
> installation directory containing frequencies though.

Unfortunately there is not yet a Linux programm, that can do a full
frequency sweep. It still requires some guidance in form of those frequency
table files to perform a scan.

Wolfgang

From: jessica6 on
On Oct 12, 2:56 pm, Wolfgang Draxinger <wdraxin...(a)darkstargames.de>
wrote:
> jessica6 wrote:
> > us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> > us-Cable-EIA-542-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
> > us-Cable-EIA-542-IRC-center_frequencies-QAM256
> > us-Cable-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
> > us-Cable-IRC-center-frequencies-QAM256
> > us-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256
> > us-CA-SF-Bay-Area
> > us-ID-Boise
> > us-MA-Boston
> > us-MI-Lansing
> > us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
> > us-NY-TWC-NYC
> > us-PA-Philadelphia
> > Do I need manually update the "us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB" file
> > with correct frequencies for my area?
> > I thought they would be standard values.
>
> Technically yes. But for some silly reason in Europe - and AFAIK in the US,
> too - stations didn't start to transmit nationwide on the same frequencies,
> as it was planned. Instead in every region the assignment between stations
> and frequencies varies, at least in Europe. Now my guess is, that you
> should try one of the non Cable (and not NTSC) files, depending on where
> you're located. So if you're living in or near San Francisco you'd
> use "us-CA-SF-Bay-Area". If you're lazy, you could cat all the files into a
> single one and use that for scanning. Takes longer, but will take into
> account all the frequencies used in the US, as far those files is
> concerned.
>
> cat /usr/share/dvb/atsc/* | sort | grep -v '#' | uniq > ~/all-atsc
>
> Like I, living in Munich, have to use dvb-t/de-Muenchen for scanning, but
> normaly use a similar file for scanning.
>
> > In WinXP, I can use the WinTV 7 program which came with the card.  It
> > works quite well, and picked up all the channels correctly when I did
> > the first "scan".  I couldn't find any file in the Windows
> > installation directory containing frequencies though.
>
> Unfortunately there is not yet a Linux programm, that can do a full
> frequency sweep. It still requires some guidance in form of those frequency
> table files to perform a scan.
>
> Wolfgang

I've had some success.
Making 1 big "all-atsc" file did not work, but it gave me some
indications that kaffeine was finding something. However, for
whatever reason, it never completely discovered/verified any
channels. I read a post somewhere that kaffeine had problems
discovering these channels.
While trying totem, I was directed to an alternate scanner to create
channel listss which looked promising:

w_scan
http://edafe.org/vdr/w_scan/

I downloaded the tar.bz2 file containing a pre-compiled w_scan (along
with source), and gave it a try:

../w_scan -help
usage: w_scan [options...]
-f type frontend type
What programs do you want to search for?
a = atsc (vsb/qam)
c = cable
s = sat
t = terrestrian [default]
-A N specify ATSC type
1 = Terrestrial [default]
2 = Cable
3 = both, Terrestrial and Cable
-c choose your country here:
DE, UK, US, AU, ..
? for list

-s choose your satellite here:
S19E2, S13E0, S15W0, ..
? for list
---output switches---
-k generate channels.dvb for kaffeine
-X tzap/czap/xine output instead of vdr channels.conf
-x generate initial tuning data for (dvb-)scan
-H view extended help (experts only)

My first guess was:

../w_scan -f a -A 3 -c US -k >> kaffeine.channels.dvb

This created a channels.dvb file for kaffeine. I copied it to ~/.kde/
share/apps/kaffeine/channels.dvb

kaffeine picked it right up and worked!

It was a limited set of channels, but good progress. I think I need
to try -f ac perhaps to get more channels. But it returned channel
names, numbers, station IDs.

Thanks for the help Wolfgang!