From: =SERGE= on
Hello,

How should I use a 1 TB hd? The disk is intended to store music files and
videos.
Can just make 1 huge 1TB partition or maybe it's better to split the disk in
two partions?
Or there is no difference at all?

Thank you

From: ray on
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:28:40 +0400, =SERGE= wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How should I use a 1 TB hd? The disk is intended to store music files and
> videos.
> Can just make 1 huge 1TB partition or maybe it's better to split the disk in
> two partions?
> Or there is no difference at all?
>
> Thank you

Main difference I can think of is: how to plan to back things up - or do
you? It's going to be a pain to backup 1tb.
From: Chris Cox on
On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 18:40 +0000, ray wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:28:40 +0400, =SERGE= wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > How should I use a 1 TB hd? The disk is intended to store music files and
> > videos.
> > Can just make 1 huge 1TB partition or maybe it's better to split the disk in
> > two partions?
> > Or there is no difference at all?
> >
> > Thank you
>
> Main difference I can think of is: how to plan to back things up - or do
> you? It's going to be a pain to backup 1tb.

Other filesystem operations like "fsck" will take much longer when the
filesystem is huge.

With that said, I'd put the whole thing under LVM control and carve out
volumes from there and grow them as needed dynamically (in other words,
don't use the whole space initially, you might find you need a filesytem
for this or that...)

From: Jon Solberg on
On 2009-10-13, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:28:40 +0400, =SERGE= wrote:
>

>> How should I use a 1 TB hd? The disk is intended to store music files and
>> videos.
>> Can just make 1 huge 1TB partition or maybe it's better to split the disk in
>> two partions?
>> Or there is no difference at all?
>
> Main difference I can think of is: how to plan to back things up - or do
> you? It's going to be a pain to backup 1tb.

No, you just get two additional drives and keep them in separate
psychical locations. :-)

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam" from email address).
From: Wolfgang Draxinger on
=SERGE= wrote:

> Can just make 1 huge 1TB partition or maybe it's better to split the disk
> in two partions?

Splitting the storage in partitions limits the size a single file can grow.
If you want to use the disk in only a single pattern, make it one large
partition and use a file system that can cope with large files and doesn't
too long for a fsck. Personally I recommend JFS.

Actually: You don't need a partition at all, you can format something
like /dev/sda with a filesystem and mount that. Of course this will only
work with OS, that can access the storage on that level - like Linux.

> Or there is no difference at all?

Only in the size a single file can grow to.

Wolfgang