From: John Goche on

Hello,

I wonder whether any users could comment on their experiences
with getting scanners to work under Linux using the sane software.
Which models offer best bang for the buck while being very compatible
with Linux? For instance I know that for printers HP seems to be the
best brand for Linux compatible printers. What about for scanners
that do good color scanning and nothing else?

Thanks,

John Goche
From: Bryce on
John Goche wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder whether any users could comment on their
> experiences with getting scanners to work under Linux
> using the sane software. Which models offer best bang for
> the buck while being very compatible with Linux? For
> instance I know that for printers HP seems to be the best
> brand for Linux compatible printers. What about for
> scanners that do good color scanning and nothing else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Goche

I bought an Epson Perfection 2400 about 5 years ago: my
first scanner and I suppose I chose it based on reviews.
It has worked perfectly under various Debian-based distros,
currently Debian Sid (unstable). Early on, I scanned some
35-mm color slides. A bit fussy to load, but great results.
Since, I use it mostly to copy 8-1/2x11 printed pages.
I'm satisfied, would buy another scanner from them ...
but not a printer!

Bryce

From: ray on
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:53:06 -0700, John Goche wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder whether any users could comment on their experiences with
> getting scanners to work under Linux using the sane software. Which
> models offer best bang for the buck while being very compatible with
> Linux? For instance I know that for printers HP seems to be the best
> brand for Linux compatible printers. What about for scanners that do
> good color scanning and nothing else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Goche

I've extremely good experiences with Epson scanners (and printers) -
purchased refurb for great prices from the Epson online store. Some
models require that you install the 'iscan' software from avasys.jp in
order to get the proper drivers - then you can use 'iscan' or sane.
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:53:06 -0700, John Goche wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder whether any users could comment on their experiences with
> getting scanners to work under Linux using the sane software. Which
> models offer best bang for the buck while being very compatible with
> Linux? For instance I know that for printers HP seems to be the best
> brand for Linux compatible printers. What about for scanners that do
> good color scanning and nothing else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Goche

The scanners in the HP All in Ones work fine, there have been some
postings about problems with standalone HP scanners but I can tell you
from personal experience that the scanners in the HP Office Jets work
perfectly. I have the HP Office Jet Pro L&650, I another Office Jet
before this one and it worked also.
From: wexfordpress on
On Oct 15, 6:49 pm, terryc <newsninespam-s...(a)woa.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:53:06 -0700, John Goche wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I wonder whether any users could comment on their experiences with
> > getting scanners to work under Linux using the sane software. Which
> > models offer best bang for the buck while being very compatible with
> > Linux? For instance I know that for printers HP seems to be the best
> > brand for Linux compatible printers. What about for scanners that do
> > good color scanning and nothing else?

I have used an Epson Perfection 1240U for some years now with no
complaints. Slack 13
using either Sane or more often Xsane.

For printers I use Ricoh laser B/W models in the 2000 series. Current
one is 2600.

John C