From: John Spencer on
You will need a third table. Your current table should be WorkshopsAvailable.

The third table WorkshopsAttended table will consist of two fields
==ProfileID - Number field type Long (Assumes you have an autonumber field in
Profile table
==WorkShopID - Number field type Long
==DateAttended -

You now need a continuous form based on the Workshops attended. You will use
this form as a subform. I would

==add a combobox bound to WorkshopsAttended.WorkshopID. The row source of the
combobox would be
SELECT WorkshopID, WorkshopName, WorkshopDescription
FROM WorkshopsAvailable
ORDER BY WorkshopName
Set the column widths property on the combobox to 0 to hide the first column.
==Add the DateAttended field

Save the form and then add it to your Profile form (which should be in single
mode) as a subform. Link the Profile form and the subform on ProfileId
fields. Now when you create a new record in the subform, it will
automatically be assigned the profileId. You can then pick from the combobox
to select a workshop type and enter the date attended.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

jeff wrote:
> Access '02:
> Hi all, I guess i'm having fundelmental problems getting my sub-forms and
> combo boxs to work for what i'm trying to attempt.
> I've posted my first problem with use of 'drop down combo box" and getting
> it to show me the text in the destination field already. I've made progress
> with that.
>
> Now i can't get a grip on the use of sub-forms and combo boxes for my next
> part.
> So i don't burden you to much can anyone recommend any useful visual demos
> or examples for these. The online help is of no use to me for my needs, and
> i can't find anything specific at the online support center.
> I'm definately between a rock and a hard place.
>
> My problem sounds straight forward.
> I have a table called "Profile", containing names, address, and all kinds of
> other stuff about people. Basically, I have all my info in just one table.
> I'm finding out this probably isn't the wright way to do this and i will have
> to do a complete redesign in the near future.
> Anyway, all i want to do is to track the workshops that people attend (date,
> wkshp name, Wkshp Descript).
> Some people will be attending only one workshop, while others more than one.
> Ultimately, i will do reports, queries, etc on these.
> I am getting stuck with the use of sub-forms and combo boxes to achieve this
> basic task.
> Also, since i've been using only one table for all of my data, i'm not use
> to how to link or associate diff table or fields to each other.
> --------------------------------------
> In order to track the workshops that people attend i created a new 'table'
> called "workshops attended" (date, wkshp name, wkshp descript,autoId field).
>
> In order to populate this table i create a 'form' called "Workshops
> Available".
> I can use this 'form' to populate the "workshops attended" table just fine.
>
> Now i want to go under each person and select which workshops they have
> attended over time and have that info stored. This is where i'm getting
> stuck.
>
> I guess i create another 'table' called something, but not exactly sure how
> to work the structure/linking/relationships.
>
> Can anyone please assist.

Pages: 1
Prev: Join using LIKE
Next: Query Problem