From: JE on
I have two tables with data that is nearly exact - one table has truncated
data:

Table 1
BARRICK GOLD CORP
DIREXION SHS ETF TR

Table 2
BARRICK GOLD CORP COM ISIN#
DIREXION SHS ETF TR LARGE CAP BULL 3X SHS

I am wanting to join these two tables on the these fields to extract another
field. Is this possible? And is it possible without using VBA using a
Design View query?

Many thanks.
From: Rick Brandt on
JE wrote:

> I have two tables with data that is nearly exact - one table has truncated
> data:
>
> Table 1
> BARRICK GOLD CORP
> DIREXION SHS ETF TR
>
> Table 2
> BARRICK GOLD CORP COM ISIN#
> DIREXION SHS ETF TR LARGE CAP BULL 3X SHS
>
> I am wanting to join these two tables on the these fields to extract
> another
> field. Is this possible? And is it possible without using VBA using a
> Design View query?

It is possible and you do not need to use VBA, but you do have to use the
SQL view of the query designer. The graphical designer can only deal with
joins using =.

SELECT * FROM [Table 2]
INNER JOIN [Table 1]
ON [Table 2].FieldName LIKE [Table 1].FieldName & "*"

From: Daryl S on
JE -

You can do this in query design. First, remove any links between the
tables, so they look like they are not joined at all.

Then, add the fields in the grid, and under the two fields from Table 2 put
criteria like this:
Like [Table 1]![field1] & "*"

Do this for both fields.

--
Daryl S

From: KARL DEWEY on
If the short field is consistent in the number of characters you can use two
queries by creating a calculated field in the first and left function.
In the second query join on the calculated field.
--
Build a little, test a little.

From: David W. Fenton on
=?Utf-8?B?RGFyeWwgUw==?= <DarylS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> You can do this in query design. First, remove any links between
> the tables, so they look like they are not joined at all.
>
> Then, add the fields in the grid, and under the two fields from
> Table 2 put criteria like this:
> Like [Table 1]![field1] & "*"
>
> Do this for both fields.

Why do you need it under both fields? Certainly if you put that
criteria under Field1, all records will match, so it seems redundant
to me. It won't change the result set, but it might cause the query
optimizer to evaluate it incorrectly.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/