From: Alex on
Hi,

I'm running postfix with amavisd-new, spamassassin-v3.2.5, and clamav
and for some reason the Received headers are either being stripped or
not properly inserted on mail that is not spam. Messages in the
amavisd quarantine have their full headers.

Some non-spam messages have Received headers, but they are always
internal non-routable addresses. The majority of the messages have no
Received headers at all.

All messages have the DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS spamassassin rule, which
appears to trigger on senders listed in openwhois or that are
non-existent. This rule is also present in all messages in the
quarantine even though the Received header exists, and the IP is not
associated with openwhois.

How can I troubleshoot this? What information can I provide to assist?

Thanks,
Alex

From: Noel Jones on
On 8/5/2010 1:30 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running postfix with amavisd-new, spamassassin-v3.2.5, and clamav
> and for some reason the Received headers are either being stripped or
> not properly inserted on mail that is not spam. Messages in the
> amavisd quarantine have their full headers.
>
> Some non-spam messages have Received headers, but they are always
> internal non-routable addresses. The majority of the messages have no
> Received headers at all.
>
> All messages have the DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS spamassassin rule, which
> appears to trigger on senders listed in openwhois or that are
> non-existent. This rule is also present in all messages in the
> quarantine even though the Received header exists, and the IP is not
> associated with openwhois.
>
> How can I troubleshoot this? What information can I provide to assist?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Check your header_checks file for IGNORE rules.

-- Noel Jones

From: Alex on
>> Some non-spam messages have Received headers, but they are always
>> internal non-routable addresses. The majority of the messages have no
>> Received headers at all.
> Check your header_checks file for IGNORE rules.

Ah, thanks very much. I should have known to check for something like that.

Why would someone add something like this?

/^(R|r)eceived:.*in.*$/ IGNORE
/^(M|m)essage-(I|i)d:.*in.*$/ IGNORE

Outside of the obvious reason to purposely prevent them from being
written to the message, what use does this have? Strip any
non-internal headers for privacy, perhaps?

Thanks,
Alex

From: Noel Jones on
On 8/5/2010 2:26 PM, Alex wrote:
>>> Some non-spam messages have Received headers, but they are always
>>> internal non-routable addresses. The majority of the messages have no
>>> Received headers at all.
>> Check your header_checks file for IGNORE rules.
>
> Ah, thanks very much. I should have known to check for something like that.
>
> Why would someone add something like this?
>
> /^(R|r)eceived:.*in.*$/ IGNORE
> /^(M|m)essage-(I|i)d:.*in.*$/ IGNORE
>
> Outside of the obvious reason to purposely prevent them from being
> written to the message, what use does this have? Strip any
> non-internal headers for privacy, perhaps?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

External headers should never be removed. The lines are
probably someone trying to remove internal headers -- a
questionable practice in itself. But they botched the job.

I would strongly suggest removing both rules.

-- Noel Jones

From: Alex on
Hi,

>> Outside of the obvious reason to purposely prevent them from being
>> written to the message, what use does this have? Strip any
>> non-internal headers for privacy, perhaps?
> External headers should never be removed.  The lines are probably someone
> trying to remove internal headers -- a questionable practice in itself.  But
> they botched the job.

Yes, they sure did. I wonder how much mail they lost as a result of SA
rules hitting due to this. In any case, I've removed them.

Thanks again,
Alex