From: Mayayana on
|> Anyone can do that if they want to. There are already
| > HTM pages. An HXS can be opened with 7-Zip. It's nearly
| > the same as a CHM: There are htm files, a TOC, and usually
| > an index...
|
| Does this mean 7-zip is a viable alternative to your solution if folks
| just want the pages?

The more I work on this, the more sense that
makes to me. I've been trying to compose a
second help collection that could be alternately
opened in MSDN -- so that one could choose to
open MSDN98, or Server2003, or .Net2008, etc.
Then VS6 people with MSDN would not be limited
in terms of docs. But there's not really any
documentation of how all of that works and so
far I'm not having much luck.

It occurred to me that it might make more sense
to just write a script that unpacks all HXS files,
stores each in it's own folder, parses the indexes,
and auto-generates a dual-framed webpage, with
the index appearing on the left and topics showing
on the right. There would be no TOC or search, but
I find that I never use TOC and rarely use search in
MSDN. From the point of view of index browsing it
would be nearly indistinguishable from using the
MSDN library viewer.

I don't know how many people are interested in all
of this. I figure that VB6 people might like to have
easy access to post-2001 docs, but maybe most people
have installed .Net and are happily using Help2 docs. ?

From: GS on
This is how HelpMATIC Pro generates web help, which is a framed webpage
with menus across the top, TOC on the left, and topic display on the
right. Of course, the purpose of this is to simulate behavior of using
a CHM online. It's all managed by js. Again, this is all created in
VB6.

I don't think you need any more than what you explain here unless
people want the tools associated with a help file. <IMO>The simpler it
is the better it will be as far as reliability and ease of use goes.
--

on 4/19/2010, Mayayana supposed :
>>> Anyone can do that if they want to. There are already
>>> HTM pages. An HXS can be opened with 7-Zip. It's nearly
>>> the same as a CHM: There are htm files, a TOC, and usually
>>> an index...
>>
>> Does this mean 7-zip is a viable alternative to your solution if folks
>> just want the pages?
>>

> The more I work on this, the more sense that
> makes to me. I've been trying to compose a
> second help collection that could be alternately
> opened in MSDN -- so that one could choose to
> open MSDN98, or Server2003, or .Net2008, etc.
> Then VS6 people with MSDN would not be limited
> in terms of docs. But there's not really any
> documentation of how all of that works and so
> far I'm not having much luck.
>
> It occurred to me that it might make more sense
> to just write a script that unpacks all HXS files,
> stores each in it's own folder, parses the indexes,
> and auto-generates a dual-framed webpage, with
> the index appearing on the left and topics showing
> on the right. There would be no TOC or search, but
> I find that I never use TOC and rarely use search in
> MSDN. From the point of view of index browsing it
> would be nearly indistinguishable from using the
> MSDN library viewer.
>
> I don't know how many people are interested in all
> of this. I figure that VB6 people might like to have
> easy access to post-2001 docs, but maybe most people
> have installed .Net and are happily using Help2 docs. ?

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: My VB6 Apps Crash
Next: string manipulation question