From: Bee on
Hope this does not double post. I waited and saw nothing post.
I had trouble getting into the MS website and loggin in.
THis time it was easy. Fortunately I made a Notepad copy before hitting
Post. Anyway ...

I installed camera software from Trendnet that did not work so after an hour
on the phoine with their tech support i uninstalled it from my Vista PC.
Now many of my VB6 apps crash on startup.

Question has two parts.
(1) i opend the IDE to find that one of the apps loaded fine but crashed on
a line using FSO.
So I looked at the References and found that the Microsoft Scripting Runtime
was checked but down below there was no path or file.
I believe that means that the file is gone, probably removed by the Trendnet
uninstall. Thanks a lot TrendNet.

So, where do I get this file and how do I put it back in?
I do not remember the name of the file either.

(2) other than trapping error 429 what is the best way to handle this type
of problem. the messages says ActiveX component can't create object.

Is there a way to get the name of the object so an error message can say
what is missing?

From: Bee on
After lots of googling I found that the name of the file I was probably
looking for was scrrun.dll. What is the .dep file used for?
But the only link at MS that claimed to download was dead.
Anyway, I found that the file was actually there in my Windows\System32.
but still could not be seen in the VB6 IDE.
I took a shot and used my register script and it said it worked.
So I tried my apps and they worked.
Seem the Trendnet uninstall unregistered scrrun.dll.

My other questions are still open.
I see that i did indeed get two post dups. Sorry.

From: C. Kevin Provance on
Stop using the FSO. It's a badly written crutch that can be knocked out from under you at anytime...as you have seen.

Just about everything you can do with the FSO can be done with VB and/or the API.

--
2025
If you do not believe in time travel,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254

:
From: Mayayana on
It may be that Trendnet installed a different version,
which then broke your reference. You should have
v. 5.6 or 5.7. If you don't then download the Windows
Script Host installer. That's how scrrun.dll gets installed
normally.

And as Kevin said, try to stop your dependence on
FSO. It's a crappy, slow set of objects that were
designed for minimal Windows scripting, at a time when
people at Microsoft didn't take scripting seriously. People
were clamoring for something more up-to-date than command
line (since it was about 1998 and GUIs had existed for
several years:) so MS cooked up the Windows Script Host.
They haven't updated it notably ever since.

Ironically, now we're in an era of 3-D, over-the-top GUIs
and people are clamoring for command line. So MS cooked
up Power Shell and hooked .Net into it....while still not updating
the WSH!

Also note, some people remove scrrun.dll for security reasons.
So you can't depend on it and shouldn't ship it.

The DEP file is for the PDW. It tells the PDW what version of
scrrun you have and what dependencies it has... Which raises
another problem: I think scrrun.dll requires msvcrt.dll, the VC6
runtime... You DEP file for scrrun is almost certainly wrong, which
will cause the PDW to complain. But it's just a text file that's easily
edited to relfect your latest scrrun install.

From: Bee on
I would stop using FSO if I knew how.
I have written around almost all FSO handy code but there are parts that I
cannot do without.
FSO very quickly gets drives and folders with all the associated properties.
I have also found cases where i think that the Delete API does not work and
the FSO delete file does work.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: My Apps Died