From: Bee on
So am I correct that based on the lack of response that I cannot determine
what caused the error?
i.e. FSO vs something else?
Does that mean that I have to put in line numbers at all possible places so
I will know what code did it or put a wrapper around each call?
Educate me please.

From: Bee on
P.S. what was very confusing was that there was a post with a date of
4/20/2010.

From: GS on
Bee presented the following explanation :
> I would stop using FSO if I knew how.
> I have written around almost all FSO handy code but there are parts that I
> cannot do without.
> FSO very quickly gets drives and folders with all the associated properties.
> I have also found cases where i think that the Delete API does not work and
> the FSO delete file does work.

You might do yourself some good if you F1 and look up the following VB
statements:
ChDir
ChDrive
FileCopy
Kill
Name
MkDir
RmDir

You might also want to look at using WMI to work with drives and their
properties (and tonnes of other system info). There's so much more WMI
can do over FSO, and you'll find lots of code examples here for this.

HTH
Garry

From: ralph on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:03:01 -0700, Bee
<Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So am I correct that based on the lack of response that I cannot determine
>what caused the error?
>i.e. FSO vs something else?
>Does that mean that I have to put in line numbers at all possible places so
>I will know what code did it or put a wrapper around each call?
>Educate me please.

>> (2) other than trapping error 429 what is the best way to handle this type
>> of problem. the messages says ActiveX component can't create object.
>>
>> Is there a way to get the name of the object so an error message can say
>> what is missing?

Normal VB Error Handling can be used to catch this error.

If using CreateObject or GetObject the parameter passed is a string,
the AppId or ProgId. Error handling will not report the parameter. So
to provide better information you can simply store the AppId to a
string variable and use that variable in both the call and the Error
Routine. If you are using New via a Reference, Error Messages can
report the component on initial launch

However, be aware that Windows loader (not VB's fault) will only
report the top or initial component it could not "find" or "load", not
the name of any dependent components that may cause the failure.

-ralph
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Bee wrote on 4/17/2010 :
> I would stop using FSO if I knew how.
> I have written around almost all FSO handy code but there are parts that I
> cannot do without.

So ask! (Google first, of course.)

See http://vb.mvps.org/samples/FileInfo and
http://vb.mvps.org/samples/DrvInfo, then.

> I have also found cases where i think that the Delete API does not work and
> the FSO delete file does work.

Such as?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!