From: down&out on
Can somebody help me on this? Originally, the error number was 0x8024001D. I
did a search and found a solution which many had found to be helpful by
Torgeir Bakken (MVP) posted on 21/6/05. I did accordingly but this did not
work for my case. Another error (0x80248014) occurred and this time I can't
find any solution to it.

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you knows what this is all about and
how should I go about solving it.

Thanks in advance!

From: jschurbon on
Can you provide more details? What OS, is it running a specific app
when this happens?

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"down&out" <downout(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can somebody help me on this? Originally, the error number was 0x8024001D. I
> did a search and found a solution which many had found to be helpful by
> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) posted on 21/6/05. I did accordingly but this did not
> work for my case. Another error (0x80248014) occurred and this time I can't
> find any solution to it.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if any of you knows what this is all about and
> how should I go about solving it.

Try a search?

http://docxp.mvps.org/WU5-ERR.htm

(MSN search for
(0x80248014 OR 80248014) microsoft error codes
)

<quote>
0x80248014 -2145091564 WU E DS UNKNOWNSERVICE
the caller has requested some action on a service that is not known to the datastore
</quote>

As usual the code doesn't mean much by itself.
We need some context, such as would be provided by the update's
install log.

If you have disabled some services based on someone's suggestion
or without understanding what they are used for that might account
for this symptom. To get a list of started services switch to a cmd
window and enter:

net start >servlst.txt
and
notepad servlst.txt

> Thanks in advance!

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: down&out on
Thanks jschurbon and Robert Aldwinckle for helping!

To jschurbon: mine is running on Windows XP Professional. The error occured
when I tried to run an express (or custom) windows update.

To Robert Aldwinckle: context as in? I managed to get a list of started
services with what you taught me to do and what can I find out from there?
Sorry to sound so ignorant.
From: Robert Aldwinckle on
> Thanks jschurbon and Robert Aldwinckle for helping!
>
> To jschurbon: mine is running on Windows XP Professional. The error occured
> when I tried to run an express (or custom) windows update.
>
> To Robert Aldwinckle: context as in?

(repost)

>> such as would be provided by the update's install log.

Note: you haven't even disclosed yet which update is giving
you this symptom so I can't really be more specific than that.
However, usually the update's install log will contain the update
number and have an extension of .log.

> I managed to get a list of started
> services with what you taught me to do and what can I find out from there?

Either post that list so others can tell you if you are missing some
or look for other posts which describe problems being resolved
by starting (or repairing) missing services. Remember, we're just
guessing that a missing or broken service is likely to account for
the (vague) symptom description you are giving us.

I suspect something more specific to suggest could become apparent
from seeing more details from your update's install log.

HTH

Robert
---

 |  Next  |  Last