From: Rob on
On 28/02/2010 10:34 AM, Justaskme wrote:

> "Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> have a laptop which has had windows XP installed and as it has only
>> 128m ram and cant use the second slot the next step is to go retro.
>>

>> Found and made a boot floppy disk which has CD Rom support.
>>

>> When this is loaded I can access fdisk but want to format the HDD
>> drive back from NTFS to FAT32.
>>
>> When I type in format C: - says required parameter missing.
>>

>> How can I go about formatting the HDD. What are the correct parameters.
>>

>> thanks
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/fdisk.htm#delete_ntfs
>
> Deleting an NTFS Partition
> 1. Select Y for treating NTFS partitions as large
> 2. Select 3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive
> 3. Select 4. Delete Non-DOS Partition
> 4. Enter 1 for the primary partition to delete
> 5. Enter in the number of the Non-DOS Partition.. It should show as Type
> NTFS in the list above.
> 6. Press the Enter key
> 7. Enter Y for Do you with to continue
> 8. Press the Esc key to bring you back to the main FDISK screen.

Finally worked it all out, made and used another boot disk from boot
disk site. After finding a floppy that I could write to without any
errors. How did one put up with floppy disks,

Must have been a corrupt floppy even it didn't show any messages to that
effect.

Now have it all up and working correctly. Had to load a couple of extra
drivers, and point the lappy to them, which were on the Toshiba site.

thanks

From: Justaskme on

> On 28/02/2010 10:34 AM, Justaskme wrote:
>>

>> "Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> have a laptop which has had windows XP installed and as it has only
>>> 128m ram and cant use the second slot the next step is to go retro.
>>>

>>> Found and made a boot floppy disk which has CD Rom support.
>>>

>>> When this is loaded I can access fdisk but want to format the HDD
>>> drive back from NTFS to FAT32.
>>>
>>> When I type in format C: - says required parameter missing.
>>>

>>> How can I go about formatting the HDD. What are the correct parameters.
>>>

>>> thanks
>>
>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/fdisk.htm#delete_ntfs
>>
>> Deleting an NTFS Partition
>> 1. Select Y for treating NTFS partitions as large
>> 2. Select 3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive
>> 3. Select 4. Delete Non-DOS Partition
>> 4. Enter 1 for the primary partition to delete
>> 5. Enter in the number of the Non-DOS Partition.. It should show as Type
>> NTFS in the list above.
>> 6. Press the Enter key
>> 7. Enter Y for Do you with to continue
>> 8. Press the Esc key to bring you back to the main FDISK screen.
>>

> Finally worked it all out, made and used another boot disk from boot disk
> site. After finding a floppy that I could write to without any errors.
> How did one put up with floppy disks,
>
> Must have been a corrupt floppy even it didn't show any messages to that
> effect.
>
> Now have it all up and working correctly. Had to load a couple of extra
> drivers, and point the lappy to them, which were on the Toshiba site.
>
> thanks

All good!

As an added option, to save the inconvenience of looking for the winme CD
when requested......
Make a directory on your C: drive such as WINME and copy all contents of
winme cd/win9x to that directory (mostly .cab files).
Then in windows...start/run/regedit and search for the >sourcepath< key, and
edit it
to point to C:\WINME