From: Osama on
Yeh I know it's all negative.
But I just found a box of 35m colour negatives in the old house.
I was hoping I could scan and then flick to positive on Photoshop.
Not that easy. I can get them Black & white so I can see what they are
pics of but was hoping to invert and select the best to print at home or
get blowups done.
Probably about 800 - 1000 pics so I would prefer not get them all
printed off to make selections.
Any tips or products/programs to help situation.
Cheers,
Osama.
From: idgat on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:37:08 +1100, Osama <Osama(a)obama> wrote:

>I can get them Black & white
>
>Cheers,
>Osama.

How are you doing this?
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.
From: John Tserkezis on
On 28/02/2010 9:37 AM, Osama wrote:

> Yeh I know it's all negative.
> But I just found a box of 35m colour negatives in the old house.
> I was hoping I could scan and then flick to positive on Photoshop.
> Not that easy. I can get them Black & white so I can see what they are
> pics of but was hoping to invert and select the best to print at home or
> get blowups done.

> Probably about 800 - 1000 pics so I would prefer not get them all
> printed off to make selections.
> Any tips or products/programs to help situation.

The fact that you're scanning them, means you should be able to reverse
all in one step within the scanner software.
Photoshop will only see a finished image.

Unless you're using something like a flatbed scanner and negative or
translucency adaptor, in which case, you deserve what you get.

Anyway, if you really want to torture yourself that way, there's a
tutorial to help you.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/tutorials/tutorial_6_1.htm>

Good luck, you're going to need it.
From: Osama on
> How are you doing this?
Scan open in Photoshop > Image > Adjustment > Invert
then Image > Adjustment > Desaturate and finally Adjust Brightness and
Contrast to suit.
Hope helps,

From: The Old Bloke on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:37:08 +1100, Osama <Osama(a)obama> wrote:

>Yeh I know it's all negative.
>But I just found a box of 35m colour negatives in the old house.
>I was hoping I could scan and then flick to positive on Photoshop.
>Not that easy. I can get them Black & white so I can see what they are
>pics of but was hoping to invert and select the best to print at home or
>get blowups done.
>Probably about 800 - 1000 pics so I would prefer not get them all
>printed off to make selections.
>Any tips or products/programs to help situation.
>Cheers,
>Osama.

I have scanned thousands of slides and negatives. You need a scanner
that has a light source in the lid. There are many on the market, but
I'm not up-to-date with the latest offerings. They are not expensive.

With these scanners all the inverting, etc is done automatically.
Given the small size of negatives and slides, you need at least
4800dpi. Depending on the scanner, scanning at 4800 dpi can be slow.

Personally, I have always used Epson scanners.