From: Rob on
have a laptop which has had windows XP installed and as it has only 128m
ram and cant use the second slot the next step is to go retro.

Found and made a boot floppy disk which has CD Rom support.

When this is loaded I can access fdisk but want to format the HDD drive
back from NTFS to FAT32.

When I type in format C: - says required parameter missing.

How can I go about formatting the HDD. What are the correct parameters.

thanks
From: idgat on
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:00:46 +1100, Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>have a laptop which has had windows XP installed and as it has only 128m
>ram and cant use the second slot the next step is to go retro.
>

>Found and made a boot floppy disk which has CD Rom support.
>

>When this is loaded I can access fdisk but want to format the HDD drive
>back from NTFS to FAT32.
>
>When I type in format C: - says required parameter missing.
>

>How can I go about formatting the HDD. What are the correct parameters.

D/load boot disk called GParted - it's Linux based but you should be
able to blow away the existing partition, then re-create it (and
re-format it, if you want, before booting from the Me disk. Otherwise,
format when booting).
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.
From: Rod Speed on
Rob wrote:

> have a laptop which has had windows XP installed and as it has only
> 128m ram and cant use the second slot the next step is to go retro.

> Found and made a boot floppy disk which has CD Rom support.

> When this is loaded I can access fdisk but want to format the HDD
> drive back from NTFS to FAT32.

> When I type in format C: - says required parameter missing.

> How can I go about formatting the HDD.

Do that as part of the install of ME.

> What are the correct parameters.

Those are the correct params, you must have fucked up the boot floppy.

You should be able to boot the ME CD.

From: Rob on
On 28/02/2010 4:34 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> have a laptop which has had windows XP installed and as it has only
>> 128m ram and cant use the second slot the next step is to go retro.
>
>> Found and made a boot floppy disk which has CD Rom support.
>
>> When this is loaded I can access fdisk but want to format the HDD
>> drive back from NTFS to FAT32.
>
>> When I type in format C: - says required parameter missing.
>
>> How can I go about formatting the HDD.
>
> Do that as part of the install of ME.
>
>> What are the correct parameters.
>
> Those are the correct params, you must have fucked up the boot floppy.
>
> You should be able to boot the ME CD.

Yep that's what I though.

The format file is on the floppy just don't understand what's happened.

Fdisk will show the partitions but I can't delete them either. When I go
to format it shows no room left on the HDD as its still ntfs formatted.

Why can't I write over the ntfs format with FAT32.
From: Rod Speed on
Rob wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Rob wrote

>>> have a laptop which has had windows XP installed and as it has only
>>> 128m ram and cant use the second slot the next step is to go retro.

>>> Found and made a boot floppy disk which has CD Rom support.

>>> When this is loaded I can access fdisk but want to format the HDD
>>> drive back from NTFS to FAT32.

>>> When I type in format C: - says required parameter missing.

>>> How can I go about formatting the HDD.

>> Do that as part of the install of ME.

>>> What are the correct parameters.

>> Those are the correct params, you must have fucked up the boot floppy.

>> You should be able to boot the ME CD.

> Yep that's what I though.

> The format file is on the floppy just don't understand what's happened.

> Fdisk will show the partitions but I can't delete them either.

That boot floppy must be serious fucked.
You can download good ones from
http://www.bootdisk.com/

> When I go to format it shows no room left on the HDD as its still ntfs formatted.

Thats normal, dos boot floppys dont understand ntfs, its only supported by Win2k and later.

> Why can't I write over the ntfs format with FAT32.

You can, you just have to delete the partition and create it again because its ntfs formatted currently.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Hardware advice for new system
Next: Negative help!