From: SpreadTooThin on
Opened up the lid and all there was was a black screen.
Tried a reboot. No Luck.
Tried to reset PRAM. No Luck.
Tried to ssh into the system... No Luck.. (Not enabled)
Tried to ftp in.. Success... File system is intact and the OS appears
to be running without video. Good!
but what now?
I wanted to 'remote desktop' in but that isn't enabled...
I was hoping someone might tell me how I can enable ssh/rdc using only
ftp...
there has to be a config file somewhere I can modify by ftp.

TIA...
B.

By the way I think this is a common problem with the video chip set in
my laptop.. no?
From: SpreadTooThin on
On Jul 26, 10:28 am, SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Opened up the lid and all there was was a black screen.
> Tried a reboot.  No Luck.
> Tried to reset PRAM.  No Luck.
> Tried to ssh into the system... No Luck.. (Not enabled)
> Tried to ftp in.. Success... File system is intact and the OS appears
> to be running without video.  Good!
> but what now?
> I wanted to 'remote desktop' in but that isn't enabled...
> I was hoping someone might tell me how I can enable ssh/rdc using only
> ftp...
> there has to be a config file somewhere I can modify by ftp.
>
> TIA...
> B.
>
> By the way I think this is a common problem with the video chip set in
> my laptop.. no?

Also tried connecting an external monitor... Still nothing.
The F7 switch (I think) is suppose to toggle video from internal to
external to dual and/or mirror.. but that too does nothing.
From: Fonarix on
Can you boot from CD?

From: Andreas Rutishauser on
Salut SpreadTooThin

In article
<a5835a4a-a4eb-42ba-ba60-79e93c7dd51e(a)m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Opened up the lid and all there was was a black screen.
> Tried a reboot. No Luck.
> Tried to reset PRAM. No Luck.
> Tried to ssh into the system... No Luck.. (Not enabled)
> Tried to ftp in.. Success... File system is intact and the OS appears
> to be running without video. Good!
> but what now?
> I wanted to 'remote desktop' in but that isn't enabled...
> I was hoping someone might tell me how I can enable ssh/rdc using only
> ftp...
> there has to be a config file somewhere I can modify by ftp.
>
> TIA...
> B.
>
> By the way I think this is a common problem with the video chip set in
> my laptop.. no?

as you don't specify what system you have (except MBPro) that is
difficult to say...
I had the same problem with my MacBookPrp3.1 (17", 2.4GHz, NVIDIA
GeForce 8600M GT) and got the graphics card replaced under AppleCare
Protection plan.

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
From: David Empson on
Andreas Rutishauser <andreas(a)macandreas.ch> wrote:

> Salut SpreadTooThin
>
> In article
> <a5835a4a-a4eb-42ba-ba60-79e93c7dd51e(a)m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
> SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Opened up the lid and all there was was a black screen.
> > Tried a reboot. No Luck.
> > Tried to reset PRAM. No Luck.
> > Tried to ssh into the system... No Luck.. (Not enabled)
> > Tried to ftp in.. Success... File system is intact and the OS appears
> > to be running without video. Good!
> > but what now?
> > I wanted to 'remote desktop' in but that isn't enabled...
> > I was hoping someone might tell me how I can enable ssh/rdc using only
> > ftp...
> > there has to be a config file somewhere I can modify by ftp.
> >
> > TIA...
> > B.
> >
> > By the way I think this is a common problem with the video chip set in
> > my laptop.. no?
>
> as you don't specify what system you have (except MBPro) that is
> difficult to say...
> I had the same problem with my MacBookPrp3.1 (17", 2.4GHz, NVIDIA
> GeForce 8600M GT) and got the graphics card replaced under AppleCare
> Protection plan.

If you have a 15" or 17" MacBook Pro from the Mid 2007 series
(introduced June 2007), this is the most likely explanation. The same
graphics controller was used in the Early 2008 series, and the Late 2008
17" model. The fault wasn't known until July 2008, and Apple thinks it
could affect models manufactured as late as September 2008.

My one (June 2007 model, bought that month) failed intermittently in
April 2010, and I managed to get it working one more time so I could
turn on screen sharing, then was able to operate it via another computer
for a day or so before I took it in to repair.

Even if you don't have AppleCare, Apple has a warranty repair extension
for this specific fault, up to four years from time of purchase. (This
has already been extended from three years.)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz