From: Lucio Menci on
Two questions:

How can I set helps are on http://localhost:47873 instead
http://127.0.0.1:47873?
My proxy denied the access to that IP address...

Now let me argue...

How can I do searches in specific argument libraries?
The Help on Line for microsoft seems a synonimous of regression. The Help32
was the best help engine done by Microsoft. Then the chm had cross references
that after some searches often wasn't run. With VisualStudio 2005 they
introduced a Guide Document Browser where searches were possible, but so hard
(whenever you are searching for the description wrote on a interface almost
never you will have into the top 50 the help for that interface)
Now I trow VisualStudio 2010. You can't do a search choosing if you are
searching something about the framework, the language, the right version,
forums and so on. WHY?

From: Mr. Arnold on
Lucio Menci wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> How can I set helps are on http://localhost:47873 instead
> http://127.0.0.1:47873?
> My proxy denied the access to that IP address...

What are you asking here? You don't make any sense.

127.0.0.1 the Loopback IP is local to your machine and (localhost)
equates to 127.0.0.1.
From: Lucio Menci on

> What are you asking here? You don't make any sense.

Beacuse there is not a discussion about Help...

> 127.0.0.1 the Loopback IP is local to your machine and (localhost) equates to 127.0.0.1.

It's not true. Internet Explorer ask to a DNS to resolve 127.0.0.1, but not
for localhost or loopback. I have an old analogic line, my phone don't
support ADSL). With address located as 127.0.0.1 IE ask for a connection (and
I have to engage my telephone) to ask to a dns who is 127.0.0.1. If I write
manually localhost, IE shows me the right page without asking connection.
From: Andrew Morton on
Lucio Menci wrote:
>> What are you asking here? You don't make any sense.
>
> Beacuse there is not a discussion about Help...
>
>> 127.0.0.1 the Loopback IP is local to your machine and (localhost)
>> equates to 127.0.0.1.
>
> It's not true.

Oh yes it is: it's *defined* that way.

> Internet Explorer ask to a DNS to resolve 127.0.0.1,
> but not for localhost or loopback. I have an old analogic line, my
> phone don't support ADSL). With address located as 127.0.0.1 IE ask
> for a connection (and I have to engage my telephone) to ask to a dns
> who is 127.0.0.1. If I write manually localhost, IE shows me the
> right page without asking connection.

Then your computer's networking configuration appears to be broken (possibly
by malware) and you should ask in a newsgroup or forum specific to your
operating system.

--
Andrew

From: Lucio Menci on
"Andrew Morton" wrote:

> >> 127.0.0.1 the Loopback IP is local to your machine and (localhost)
> >> equates to 127.0.0.1.
> >
> > It's not true.
>
> Oh yes it is: it's *defined* that way.

Why the behaviour is not the same if they are *defined* that way (whatever
malware or some else)?

> > Internet Explorer ask to a DNS to resolve 127.0.0.1,
> > but not for localhost or loopback. I have an old analogic line, my
> > phone don't support ADSL). With address located as 127.0.0.1 IE ask
> > for a connection (and I have to engage my telephone) to ask to a dns
> > who is 127.0.0.1. If I write manually localhost, IE shows me the
> > right page without asking connection.
>
> Then your computer's networking configuration appears to be broken (possibly
> by malware) and you should ask in a newsgroup or forum specific to your
> operating system.

I throw VB in 3 PCs: one with Vista (my PC at work with a connection with a
ISA server), another PC with XP (in the same net) and a PC in my house
(Windows 7, with an old connection via an analogic modem).
In the first two cases ISA server denied the access to helpbooks giving the
error code 10061 (Connection refused), in the last case the PC whan to engage
the phone line. All of that both using IE or Chrome. All of that only using
127.0.0.1. None of that if I use Loopback or Localhost. Are you still sure
that's a malware?

The simplest way is to say to the library agent to go to Localhost instead
127.0.0.1. Can I do that?