From: Rob Jenkins on
I am incharge of deciding/negociating the contract for work. At the moment
the majority of our users are on Orange - costing us around �122,000 a month
for the whole corportion. The other few numbers are with Vodafone and
spending considerably less!

Vodafone are very keen for us to switch over. I have also had many emails
from employees complaining about Orange coverage at home etc. although I
have suggested use UMA as most have a BlackBerry. So the attraction of a
cheaper base tariff and Vodafone advertising their network as being superior
is somewhat tempting me.

So, just looking for any advice on whether moving the whole corporation to
Vodafone would be a sensible idea or not. When it is just 1 number to move
it's not so bad but I don't know how helpfull Voda are going to be with just
over 3000 users to see to.

One concern I had was with the BlackBerrys as I am not sure how it works
with transferring the email services over - any experience of this would be
greately appreciated.
I know Orange and T-Mobile are going through their infrastructure
integration so I'm hoping that brings some improvement to coverage -
although T-Mobile I find are generally poor anyway. I also like the fact
that Voda support DTM allowing similtaneous voice & data over 2G. I often
get a 'missed call text' from Orange because I've been browsing away when a
call has come through.

Rob

From: Steve Terry on
"Rob Jenkins" <robj@....com> wrote in message
>I am incharge of deciding/negociating the contract for work. At the moment
> the majority of our users are on Orange - costing us around �122,000 a
> month
> for the whole corportion. The other few numbers are with Vodafone and
> spending considerably less!
<snip>

Have you considered Three?
If you could teach your staff and company to use Skype, their free Skype
node access could save your company quite a lot of money

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Rob Jenkins on
I'm actually quite impressed at the 3 coverage - they seem to have made a
big effort with T-Mobile. Been testing with both a 3 and T-Mobile SIM
recently and eventhough I think they still aren't superb everywhere,
T-Mobile seem to be creating 2G/3G combined sites, unlike Voda who are
interested in 3G only at the moment.

With regards to the 3/T-Mobile integration - are they sharing the same
antennas or are they just creating shared sites that are connected to both
the main 3 and T-Mobile network seperately?

Two concerns:
1 - 3 Skype availability on BlackBerry?
2 - 3G to 2G handovers. I've had a 3 PAYG SIM in my Orange unlocked Bold
9700 and I can't get calls to handover at all. Browsing the web suggests
this is possibly as the handset doesn't have the 3 firmware on it? Is this
correct?

Rob

From: Steve Terry on
> I'm actually quite impressed at the 3 coverage - they seem to have made a
> big effort with T-Mobile. Been testing with both a 3 and T-Mobile SIM
> recently and eventhough I think they still aren't superb everywhere,
> T-Mobile seem to be creating 2G/3G combined sites, unlike Voda who are
> interested in 3G only at the moment.
>
> With regards to the 3/T-Mobile integration - are they sharing the same
> antennas or are they just creating shared sites that are connected to both
> the main 3 and T-Mobile network separately?

Now Orange and T Mobile have formed "Everything Everywhere",
it's anyone's guess what future alliance Three will form with them?

> Two concerns:
> 1 - 3 Skype availability on BlackBerry?

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-mobile/skype-mobile/blackberry/

So unless you use dedicated Three Blackberry phones with built in Three
Skype client you'll be paying for Skype out of whatever inclusive Three data
packages you arrange using the downloaded Skype app

> 2 - 3G to 2G handovers. I've had a 3 PAYG SIM in my Orange unlocked Bold
> 9700 and I can't get calls to handover at all. Browsing the web suggests
> this is possibly as the handset doesn't have the 3 firmware on it? Is
> this correct? Rob
<snip top post>

I have little trouble handing over from Three 3G to Orange 2G,
but how well it does includes on the make and model of phone.

Steve Terry

From: Theo Markettos on
Steve Terry <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote:
> "Rob Jenkins" <robj@....com> wrote in message
> > Two concerns:
> > 1 - 3 Skype availability on BlackBerry?
> >
> http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-mobile/skype-mobile/blackberry/
>
> So unless you use dedicated Three Blackberry phones with built in Three
> Skype client you'll be paying for Skype out of whatever inclusive Three data
> packages you arrange using the downloaded Skype app

To explain, Three Skype is based on a platform from iSkoot. The iSkoot
client uses a little bit of data traffic to instruct the iSkoot server to
create a Skype channel. The handset then initiates a GSM voice call to the
server, and the server transcodes this an sends it over the Skype network.
Three have their own iSkoot server which is within the charge-free part of
their network. (Three keep very quiet the fact that their system uses
iSkoot).

The above Skype.com client doesn't use the iSkoot network, but routes the
whole call over mobile data. That may mean that audio quality is worse,
particularly on 2G connections.

It appears Three's client is a slightly more developed version of iSkoot's
client. However, iSkoot does claim to support Blackberry:
http://www.iskoot.com/products/skype/devices

IME iSkoot's clients do include settings to use the Three iSkoot server, but
if they don't it's a simple configuration file setting to add it. For the
gory details see:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~theom/telecoms/three-skype-iskoot.txt

If you want to take this route, try it on a test handset and stress-test it
to see if it's reliable enough for you.

However, Three only support 3G handsets. I get the impression many
Blackberries are 2G? That might be a problem.

Theo