From: Fitz on
Never download files from persons who purport to be offering help. The best
place to download the files is from the manufacture's website. They have
the original, latest files that you know have not been tampered with.

From: tom runesson on
Hello Bubba,

Friday, September 2, 2005, 4:53:55 AM, you wrote:

> Hopefully someone can solve this.

> First off, maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I don't use a
> firewall. It interferes with my work. I'm a tech, so I know all the
> precautions to ensure my computers' safety none-the-less.

> Anyway, everytime I try to use IE, as soon as I enter a URL... any URL, the
> first thing I get is an "OK/Cancel" popup box telling me I may be infected
> with spyware. (I have Pro level anti-virus software on my machine and can't
> image I'm infected, but there it is).

> I know enough that Windows Dialog boxes don't have "X" cancel buttons in
> the corner, so I know the popup isn't from Windows. I've always clicked
> Cancel or the X, never the "OK" button. Yet it ALWAYS opens a new window
> and sends me to an advertisement for a program called "WinFixer". I close
> the window and only then does my URL load. After that, everytime I open IE,
> an ad pops up in a second window over mine.

> I've done a full deep virus scan in safe mode and found nothing. AdAwareSE
> (also in Safe Mode) finds nothing. Neither MSConfig nor HiJack This show
> any file that I don't recognize.

> I have all files, including hidden files, visible in File Explorer. I've
> searched my hard drives and Registry for anything that might be related to
> "WinFixer" and found nothing.

> The most I've found is a "winfixer.com" cookie, which I promptly deleted. I
> also have popups and Windows Messenger ads/messages blocked, so I can't
> figure out how it's getting through.

> I rarely use IE. My primary browser is Navigator 7.2, and it does not have
> this problem. So it may have been in my system for a long time and I never
> knew it.

> Am I infected, or must I simply start using the Windows Firewall (I have XP
> Pro with sp2)? Very annoying. All of the tips on stopping this popup assume
> you are already infected. Since I never clicked OK and HiJack shows no
> files I don't recognize, is this just something that all I can do is bite
> the bullet and activate the firewall? What a pain! :(

> Please help.

Yes... and No! You might be infected!

Check your hosts file first!
Try abelhadigital.com's Hostman (http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/) and use
it to change your hosts file. You have an IP in the hostsfile that need to get
directed to your own machine before you may have peace to solve your problem.
Then learn to use the update for Hostman and write protect it.

Then try NEVER EVER to misspell site names...

--
have a nice day says,
tom mailto:no.sp(a)m.to.me

who usualy lurks around but this time couldn't resist jumping in