From: Mark Goldin on
I have the following code for a console application that I got from a MS web
site:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Web.Services.Protocols;
using WebServiceAccessReports.ufddbreportservices;

namespace WebServiceAccessReports
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
ReportingService2005 rs = new ReportingService2005();
rs.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;
string report = "/154";
bool forRendering = false;
string historyID = null;
ParameterValue[] values = null;
DataSourceCredentials[] credentials = null;
ReportParameter[] parameters = null;

try
{
parameters = rs.GetReportParameters(report, historyID,
forRendering, values, credentials);

if (parameters != null)
{
foreach (ReportParameter rp in parameters)
{
Console.WriteLine("Name: {0}", rp.Name);
}
}
}

catch (SoapException e)
{
Console.WriteLine(e.Detail.InnerXml.ToString());
}

}
}
}
I need some help converting the code to produce a dll or something else in
order to run this application from non .net environments.

TIA

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Mark Goldin" <mgoldin(a)UFANDD.LOCAL> wrote in message

>I have the following code for a console application that I got from a MS
>web site:

<snip>

> I need some help converting the code to produce a dll or something else in
> order to run this application from non .net environments.

1) Decide which language you want to use to write your DLL. C++ is still
widely used for such programming tasks, but by no means your only choice.

2) Once you've made your decision, post your question in a newsgroup
dedicated to that language - you'll (almost) certainly get a far better and
quicker response...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Mark Goldin on
A, I see. It's because C# cannot produce a DLL?

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Mark Goldin" <mgoldin(a)UFANDD.LOCAL> wrote in message

[please don't top-post]

>>> I need some help converting the code to produce a dll or something else
>>> in order to run this application from non .net environments.
>>
>> 1) Decide which language you want to use to write your DLL. C++ is still
>> widely used for such programming tasks, but by no means your only choice.
>>
>> 2) Once you've made your decision, post your question in a newsgroup
>> dedicated to that language - you'll (almost) certainly get a far better
>> and quicker response...
>
> A, I see. It's because CO# cannot produce a DLL?

You can create .NET assemblies as DLLs. You can make them COM-visible. You
can use a tool called regasm to make them work like Windows DLLs. However,
all of these still require the CLR.

If you want to create a "true" Windows DLL which doesn't require the .NET
Framework, you'll need to use something other than C# or any other managed
programming language.

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Scott M. on
> I need some help converting the code to produce a dll or something else in
> order to run this application from non .net environments.
>
> TIA

What "non .net" environments do you mean?

Do you mean from Windows directly?

Do you mean from a non-Windows box on a private network?

Do you mean from a non-Windows box across the web?

You can write code in .NET that produces a .dll, and if you configure that
..dll properly, you can create a proxy that can be called from COM objects,
thus making your .NET .dll available to COM.

If you want your .NET .dll available over the web, you should expose the
class as a Web Service, which would allow Windoss and non-Windows platforms
alike the ability to consume your class(es).

But, if you want to strictly write .NET code that is immediately available
to non-.NET environments, that is not possible.

-Scott