From: Alistair on
On Feb 1, 9:43 pm, Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 6:11 am, SomeGuy <jimgr...(a)nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Need to identify some database files used by a PC COBOL program
> > written in the mid-90's.  The extensions are .DB and .IDX.  Given the
> > date, language and OS, are there any candidates you can think of?  I
> > can send a sample of the files if that would help.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Jim
>
> The .DB is probably a user choice. The .IDX is most likely an index
> file for the .DB. If the first two bytes of the .IDX is 0xFE53 then it
> is probable that these are MicroFocus LevelII/CISAM format indexed
> files.
>
> The first block of the .IDX should have further information giving
> record length and key information (size and start position).
>
> If the files are LevelII/CISAM then the data records in the .DB will
> be fixed length with CR/LF record terminators. Other formats may have
> variable length records with record headers and/or may have compressed
> data.
>
> Without an FD entry you are unlikely to be able to know what the data
> fields are or even where they start/end within the record.

Am I the only person who remembers dBase files which (IIRC) were
suffixed .DB?
Since the .DB files are unlikely to contain cobol specific data items
then importing the flat files in to MS Access would be an option. It
would require some understanding of data formats and intelligent
guessing of layouts. Not too difficult, even I have done that in the
past.
From: Fred Mobach on
SomeGuy wrote:

> On Feb 1, 4:43�pm, Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Feb 2, 6:11�am, SomeGuy <jimgr...(a)nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Need to identify some database files used by a PC COBOL program
>> > written in the mid-90's. �The extensions are .DB and .IDX. �Given
>> > the date, language and OS, are there any candidates you can think
>> > of? �I can send a sample of the files if that would help.
>>
>> The .DB is probably a user choice. The .IDX is most likely an index
>> file for the .DB. If the first two bytes of the .IDX is 0xFE53 then
>> it is probable that these are MicroFocus LevelII/CISAM format indexed
>> files.
>>
>> The first block of the .IDX should have further information giving
>> record length and key information (size and start position).
>>
>> If the files are LevelII/CISAM then the data records in the .DB will
>> be fixed length with CR/LF record terminators. Other formats may have
>> variable length records with record headers and/or may have
>> compressed data.
>>
>> Without an FD entry you are unlikely to be able to know what the data
>> fields are or even where they start/end within the record.
>
> FWIW, the IDX starts with 0x31FE. In any case, it looks like the
> vendor is not really the important thing to have but the layout.

Did you already try to use the file command ? See :
http://www.darwinsys.com/file/
--
Fred Mobach - fred(a)mobach.nl
website : https://fred.mobach.nl
From: Anonymous on
In article <bdde5a86-8738-46e0-b046-6a6003dd3476(a)z26g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
SomeGuy <jimgreen(a)nc.rr.com> wrote:
>On Feb 1, 12:26?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article <b40fdfcc-d80f-4b3e-912a-6c56f313e...(a)r6g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> SomeGuy ?<jimgr...(a)nc.rr.com> wrote:
>> >Need to identify some database files used by a PC COBOL program
>> >written in the mid-90's.
>>
>> Find someone who has demonstrable experience in that particular sub-set of
>> the discipline. ?Verify the references you are given. ?Agree on a rate and
>> let the job be done.
>>
>> (You *do* realise that retaining this kind of knowledge is how some folks
>> make their livings, right?)
>
>Wow, DD, thanks, that was so helpful. Makes me regret all the time
>I've spent in the past answering questions on newsgroups for free when
>I could have just told them to hire someone!

Data which run a company - and the ability to manipulate them - are things
which, in many cases, are worth money. Regret is a manifestation of the
past subjunctive mood and can bee seen as philosophically unjustifiable.
To do good with the expectation of having good done in return is not
generosity, it is commerce.

(sorry... the last cookie has a slip in it that reads 'Help! I'm being
held prisoner in a Chinese bakery!')

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <c35879ad-0e56-4cf9-8fc1-088fad613fa1(a)h33g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
SomeGuy <jimgreen(a)nc.rr.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the very helpful reply!
>
>[Aside - I don't think it's uncommon or out-of-line for a NG post to
>appear that requires a "need more information" response" (and people
>generally don't suggest you're trying to ruin someone else's
>livelihood by asking :-)]

Not 'ruin their livelihood'... just get them to do for free what they do
for a salary. 'Hey, Sam, you got a free day to drive this tractor-trailer
rig a couple-five hundred miles for me? I've put some effort into the
project... see, I know how to buckle my safety-belt!'

DD

From: SomeGuy on
On Feb 2, 8:23 am, Fred Mobach <f...(a)mobach.nl> wrote:
> SomeGuy wrote:

> >> The .DB is probably a user choice. The .IDX is most likely an index
> >> file for the .DB. If the first two bytes of the .IDX is 0xFE53 then
> >> it is probable that these are MicroFocus LevelII/CISAM format indexed
> >> files.
>
> >> The first block of the .IDX should have further information giving
> >> record length and key information (size and start position).
>
> >> If the files are LevelII/CISAM then the data records in the .DB will
> >> be fixed length with CR/LF record terminators. Other formats may have
> >> variable length records with record headers and/or may have
> >> compressed data.
>
> >> Without an FD entry you are unlikely to be able to know what the data
> >> fields are or even where they start/end within the record.
>
> > FWIW, the IDX starts with 0x31FE.  In any case, it looks like the
> > vendor is not really the important thing to have but the layout.
>
> Did you already try to use the file command ? See :http://www.darwinsys.com/file/
> --
> Fred Mobach - f...(a)mobach.nl
> website :https://fred.mobach.nl
>  .... In God we trust ....
>  .. The rest we monitor ..

Never heard of it before, but just tried online at http://swoag.webhop.org/
(which per Wikipedia uses it internally). Reports both the DB and IDX
as "data". Thanks.