From: SomeGuy on
Need to identify some database files used by a PC COBOL program
written in the mid-90's. The extensions are .DB and .IDX. Given the
date, language and OS, are there any candidates you can think of? I
can send a sample of the files if that would help.

Thanks,
Jim
From: Anonymous on
In article <b40fdfcc-d80f-4b3e-912a-6c56f313e0b1(a)r6g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
SomeGuy <jimgreen(a)nc.rr.com> wrote:
>Need to identify some database files used by a PC COBOL program
>written in the mid-90's.

Find someone who has demonstrable experience in that particular sub-set of
the discipline. Verify the references you are given. Agree on a rate and
let the job be done.

(You *do* realise that retaining this kind of knowledge is how some folks
make their livings, right?)

DD
From: SomeGuy on
On Feb 1, 12:26 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <b40fdfcc-d80f-4b3e-912a-6c56f313e...(a)r6g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
>
> SomeGuy  <jimgr...(a)nc.rr.com> wrote:
> >Need to identify some database files used by a PC COBOL program
> >written in the mid-90's.
>
> Find someone who has demonstrable experience in that particular sub-set of
> the discipline.  Verify the references you are given.  Agree on a rate and
> let the job be done.
>
> (You *do* realise that retaining this kind of knowledge is how some folks
> make their livings, right?)
>
> DD

Wow, DD, thanks, that was so helpful. Makes me regret all the time
I've spent in the past answering questions on newsgroups for free when
I could have just told them to hire someone!
From: Duke Normandin on

http://www.google.com/search?q=cobol+PC+1995&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=mozilla&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial
--
Duke

From: SomeGuy on
On Feb 1, 12:57 pm, Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> On 2010-02-01, SomeGuy <jimgr...(a)nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Need to identify some database files used by a PC COBOL program
> > written in the mid-90's.  The extensions are .DB and .IDX.  Given the
> > date, language and OS, are there any candidates you can think of?  I
> > can send a sample of the files if that would help.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Jim
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=cobol+PC+1995&sourceid=mozilla-search&....
> --
> Duke

I've already Google'd various combinations. Is there a specific hit
in that search that would help with this question?

Thanks.