From: jasee on
I'm using dd to recover a corrupt partition or a least some of the files in
it,
The basic command is dd if=/dev/some source partition if=/dev/some target
bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror
This is from an NTFS partition to an NTFS partition, is it possible to send
this to a file rather than a partition? and how would I do this if it was
on another partition eg hdc?

--
Vista: the hd dvd player that thinks it's an operating system �JC 2009
Windows 7: a faster dvd player

From: stuart on
jasee wrote:
> I'm using dd to recover a corrupt partition or a least some of the files in
> it,
> The basic command is dd if=/dev/some source partition if=/dev/some target
> bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror
> This is from an NTFS partition to an NTFS partition, is it possible to send
> this to a file rather than a partition? and how would I do this if it was
> on another partition eg hdc?

I have used dd to copy a device to a file.

dd if=/dev/devicename of=/path/to/filename

It worked.

Look out for "if" and "of" you have the second as "if" in your example.

Stuart
From: jasee on
stuart wrote:
> jasee wrote:
>> I'm using dd to recover a corrupt partition or a least some of the
>> files in it,
>> The basic command is dd if=/dev/some source partition if=/dev/some
>> target bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror
>> This is from an NTFS partition to an NTFS partition, is it possible
>> to send this to a file rather than a partition? and how would I do
>> this if it was on another partition eg hdc?
>>
> I have used dd to copy a device to a file.
>
> dd if=/dev/devicename of=/path/to/filename
>
> It worked.
>
> Look out for "if" and "of" you have the second as "if" in your
> example.

Thanks but I'm stupid: would the path to the file be
of=/hdc/path/to/filename?

From: Simon J. Rowe on
jasee wrote:

> I'm using dd to recover a corrupt partition or a least some of the files
> in it,
> The basic command is dd if=/dev/some source partition if=/dev/some target
> bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror
> This is from an NTFS partition to an NTFS partition, is it possible to
> send
> this to a file rather than a partition? and how would I do this if it was
> on another partition eg hdc?

If the disk has bad sectors then you want dd_rescue instead,

Simon

From: Simon J. Rowe on
jasee wrote:

> Thanks but I'm stupid: would the path to the file be
> of=/hdc/path/to/filename?

Yes, i == input, o == output,

Simon