From: JJ on
I found this example on Ron de Bruin's site on how to create a custom
Ribbon...

http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm

I followed it to the letter but the Ribbon does not appear at all when
I open the file.

What could I be doing wrong? Are there some settings that I need to
check for this to work?

Why Microsoft? Why would you do this?!?!?!?!

Thanks in advance!
JJ
From: Bob Phillips on
It is difficult to answer, we don't know what you did, but did you enable
macros in the new file?

--

HTH

Bob

From: Billns on
On 3/17/2010 11:29 AM, JJ wrote:
> I found this example on Ron de Bruin's site on how to create a custom
> Ribbon...
>
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
>
> I followed it to the letter but the Ribbon does not appear at all when
> I open the file.
>
> What could I be doing wrong? Are there some settings that I need to
> check for this to work?
>
> Why Microsoft? Why would you do this?!?!?!?!
>
> Thanks in advance!
> JJ
This isn't a Microsoft problem. The custom ribbon comes from a third
party developer. If you follow Ron's links you'll find other people have
had problems with this routine.

Any special reason you need a custom ribbon? MS lets you add all sorts
of buttons to the task bar at the top of the ribbon.

And if you just don't like the ribbons, it's easy to hide them.

Bill
From: Billns on
On 3/17/2010 11:29 AM, JJ wrote:
> I found this example on Ron de Bruin's site on how to create a custom
> Ribbon...
>
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
>
> I followed it to the letter but the Ribbon does not appear at all when
> I open the file.
>
> What could I be doing wrong? Are there some settings that I need to
> check for this to work?
>
> Why Microsoft? Why would you do this?!?!?!?!
>
> Thanks in advance!
> JJ

Here's Microsoft's take on customizing the ribbon:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905530.aspx

It gets pretty detailed...

Bill
From: JJ on
I enabled the macros. The reason I want to use the Ribbons is because
I don't want to have to stick custom toolbars in the "Add-Ins" Ribbon.
As I understand it, a custom ribbon can be built via XML. I've found
numerous examples of these files. I even used the Custom UI Editor
which comes from Microsoft to build custom ribbons and still...
nothing.

I even took a file from Microsoft's website and opened it up... still
no custom ribbon.

What am I missing here?