From: RDK on
Hi Folks....First if this is not the right forum for this question, please
let me know and I will repost it there.

My issues is this:

0. All computers are Windows XP SP3, fully patched

1. I have a 3 PC network with a Linksys wireless router for an Ethernet
connection for one PC and wireless connection for the 2 laptops.

2. All three have a Sym Business version of AV and Firewall

3. all three see the two printers attached to PC-A

The issue is that there is no consistency with the visibility of shares on
each computer in the other computers Network Places. That is I always see
the workgroup, but many times it is either not populated or if populated
the shares for each computer are not shown

If I insist by clicking on the workgroup icon I get a "Network path not
found" error message

I'm rather knowledgeable on Windows and Networking, but this has me stumped.

Printers are visible everywhere, but files shares are not.

Any ideas?

Thanks....RDK

From: JohnB on
The issue is with NetBIOS name resolution. Normally, in a Windows network
there is a WINS server that provides name resolution. In your small network
that isn't an option. An alternative is to use your LMHOSTS file. If you
go that route, you will need to set your PC's to static IP addresses.

From: John John - MVP on
As long as all the machines are on the same subnet you don't need Wins
nor do you need to use the lmhosts file, peer networks work just fine
with the Computer Browser service.

John

From: John John - MVP on
RDK wrote:
> Hi Folks....First if this is not the right forum for this question, please
> let me know and I will repost it there.
>
> My issues is this:
>
> 0. All computers are Windows XP SP3, fully patched
>
> 1. I have a 3 PC network with a Linksys wireless router for an Ethernet
> connection for one PC and wireless connection for the 2 laptops.
>
> 2. All three have a Sym Business version of AV and Firewall
>
> 3. all three see the two printers attached to PC-A
>
> The issue is that there is no consistency with the visibility of shares on
> each computer in the other computers Network Places. That is I always see
> the workgroup, but many times it is either not populated or if populated
> the shares for each computer are not shown
>
> If I insist by clicking on the workgroup icon I get a "Network path not
> found" error message
>
> I'm rather knowledgeable on Windows and Networking, but this has me stumped.
>
> Printers are visible everywhere, but files shares are not.
>
> Any ideas?

Disable *ALL* the firewalls while you troubleshoot the problem, if need
be pull the internet connection while you work on the problem.

Being that the problem is intermittent (sometimes it's populated,
sometimes it isn't) I'm almost certain that this is a Master Browser
issue, look in the Event Log for clues, specifically look for Event ID
8021, Event ID 8032 or Event ID 8003. The use of the NET VIEW and
BROWSTAT commands (at the command prompt) can be most useful when
troubleshooting these issues.

John