From: nickinnz on
I'm trying to load correct sound card driver for my suse 9.3
My sound card is ac97 C-media 9739a chipset and I have downloaded
official driver from c-media website. But I do not know how to install
it. I dont know much about linux and I was trying to follow readme.txt.
I delete my sound card that was installed by default from yast thing,
and in terminal typed make command and it just gave me 100s of errors.
Is there a rpm version to install this driver?

Linux OSS driver for C-Media audio codec (CMI9738, CMI9739) v0.41

Notes:
1. This version implements GPIO on/off when active/disactive the driver
which used for Mitac.

Features:
1. South Bridge: Intel ICH2/ICH4/ICH5, SiS 7012/7018, VIA 8233/82686,
ALI 5451, nVidia nForce, AMD 8111.
2. Full-duplex and multiple applications playback and recording.
4. 16 bits 2/4/6 channels mono/stereo playback.
5. 16 bits stereo recording.
6. Support phone jacks configuration.
7. PCM SPDIF IN/OUT (CMI9739 only, recording only support 48 KHz).
8. Support AC3 S/PDIF out ((CMI9739 only).
9. Support analog hardware copy to rear channel.
10.Support xear mode to swap front and surround speakers output.
For PCCHIPS LCD PC, you should change the following codes in cmaudio.h:

// For PCCHIPS LCD PC
#define FORCE_LINEINASREAR_MODE 1
#define FORCE_XEAR_MODE 1

//#define FORCE_LINEINASREAR_MODE 0
//#define FORCE_XEAR_MODE 0

Known issues:
1. This driver only tested on RedHat 7.3.
2. /dev/sequencer is not supported.
3. In RedHat 8.0, gmix can not select recording source correctly.
Please using aumix.

Installation:
For driver installation, please follow below steps.

Step 1. Unzip source code
tar xzf cmaudio-041.tar.gz

Step 2. Turn on sound support (soundcore module)

Step 3. Complied source code
make
make install

Step 4. Edit your /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules depending on the
Distribution
alias sound-slot-0 cmaudio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc
-L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :

Step 5. reboot your machine

Phone Jacks Configuration:
We provide a console mode program, cmconfig.c, in order to let you
change jacks' configuration.
please follow below steps.

Step 1. Compiled source code, the source code is also in cmaudio-041.tar.gz.
cc -o cmconfig cmconfig.c

Step 2. Execute and change the settings
./cmconfig
From: piperut on

nickinnz wrote:
> I'm trying to load correct sound card driver for my suse 9.3
> My sound card is ac97 C-media 9739a chipset and I have downloaded
> official driver from c-media website. But I do not know how to install
> it. I dont know much about linux and I was trying to follow readme.txt.
> I delete my sound card that was installed by default from yast thing,
> and in terminal typed make command and it just gave me 100s of errors.
> Is there a rpm version to install this driver?

Hi Nick,

First of all, a couple of questions:

Why are you trying to install a different sound driver then what is
included in the SuSe 9.3 package?

C-media is normally supported by the default install of SuSe.

It should be installed by default from the setup, and just go into YAST
and configure the sound options under hardware.

Now if you really want to install a .gz file, you have to gunzip it
before you untar the tarball file.

gunzip *.tar, then tar xvsf *.tar

or what ever tar attributes you are going to use.

you also have to have the programs installed to compile the
executables.

roalnd

From: nickinnz on
piperut wrote:
> nickinnz wrote:
>> I'm trying to load correct sound card driver for my suse 9.3
>> My sound card is ac97 C-media 9739a chipset and I have downloaded
>> official driver from c-media website. But I do not know how to install
>> it. I dont know much about linux and I was trying to follow readme.txt.
>> I delete my sound card that was installed by default from yast thing,
>> and in terminal typed make command and it just gave me 100s of errors.
>> Is there a rpm version to install this driver?
>>

> Hi Nick,
>
> First of all, a couple of questions:
>
> Why are you trying to install a different sound driver then what is
> included in the SuSe 9.3 package?
>
> C-media is normally supported by the default install of SuSe.
>
> It should be installed by default from the setup, and just go into YAST
> and configure the sound options under hardware.
>
> Now if you really want to install a .gz file, you have to gunzip it
> before you untar the tarball file.
>
> gunzip *.tar, then tar xvsf *.tar
>
> or what ever tar attributes you are going to use.
>
> you also have to have the programs installed to compile the
> executables.
>
> roalnd

Hi,
For some reason it recognises my sound card as snd-intel8x0. I can hear
sound but can't really control the volume. There are some C-media
drivers included in alsa, but not the version I have. I'm sure it's
quite a common one on motherboard. I've been googling for a day and cant
seem to find any solution. But read people having some trouble with the
soundcard, which leads me to think they have the driver installed. So
basically I just want to be able to control my voulme! I can only
control wav? voulme, not anything else.
From: piperut on
nickinnz wrote:
> piperut wrote:
> > nickinnz wrote:
> >> I'm trying to load correct sound card driver for my suse 9.3
> >> My sound card is ac97 C-media 9739a chipset and I have downloaded
> >> official driver from c-media website. But I do not know how to install
> >> it. I dont know much about linux and I was trying to follow readme.txt.
> >> I delete my sound card that was installed by default from yast thing,
> >> and in terminal typed make command and it just gave me 100s of errors.
> >> Is there a rpm version to install this driver?
> >>

> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > First of all, a couple of questions:
> >
> > Why are you trying to install a different sound driver then what is
> > included in the SuSe 9.3 package?
> >
> > C-media is normally supported by the default install of SuSe.
> >
> > It should be installed by default from the setup, and just go into YAST
> > and configure the sound options under hardware.
> >
> > Now if you really want to install a .gz file, you have to gunzip it
> > before you untar the tarball file.
> >
> > gunzip *.tar, then tar xvsf *.tar
> >
> > or what ever tar attributes you are going to use.
> >
> > you also have to have the programs installed to compile the
> > executables.
> >
> > roalnd
> >
> Hi,
> For some reason it recognises my sound card as snd-intel8x0. I can hear
> sound but can't really control the volume. There are some C-media
> drivers included in alsa, but not the version I have. I'm sure it's
> quite a common one on motherboard. I've been googling for a day and cant
> seem to find any solution. But read people having some trouble with the
> soundcard, which leads me to think they have the driver installed. So
> basically I just want to be able to control my voulme! I can only
> control wav? voulme, not anything else.

I have had a little bit of trouble with sound cards for a couple of
reasons:

If you have a pci card an an card on your mother board - sometimes it
helps to turn off the card on the motherboard in the bios.

Sometimes SuSe doesn't get the sound installed properly. There are
instructions on the SuSe website (the one the icon on your desktop
takes you to) on how to fix this. I had to do this in some versions.
However; it has been a long time since I had to do this. There is a
search engine on the SuSe website, just look for "no sound', and you
should find something.

Hope that helps,

roland