From: animaz on
This code is 95% cut and paste from the PHP manual examples -
the Types/Strings/Heredocs section and the Filesystem/fnmatch pages.
There are actually two questions here - I have combined the code into
one test file ... the strings in the code contain the questions ..
at the end I have inserted the output I get from the code - identical in
Firefox and IE8 (so it's not browser related), and on my desktop as well
as my laptop (so it's not a machine quirk). The setup is Xammplite
Win32-1.7.1 with PHP 5.2.9 and Apache 2.2.11 on both WinXP-SP3 installs.

I tried Xammp Win32-1.7.3 with the same results. Then I tried installing
Apache and PHP and MySQL individually, and got the same ...
Aside from the issue here, I also was unable to get imagick and xdebug
running on the same installation - it was one or the other. imagick's
readfile() caused Apache to baulk on PHP5.3.3, so I returned to a fresh
Xammplite setup. Same results.

I have spent many hours with this - I would appreciate some insight ..

Question 1 : how to get the newline functioning ....? even print_r()
output is not 'newlined' as it should be. Also note the \n is missing
between the " " in the output text of the second test!

Question 2 : fnmatch() is an internal function (ie built in to PHP, yet
get_defined_functions() does not find it. Perhaps there are others also
missing, I haven't done a check - could it be a compile error in
Xammplite's PHP binaries?

heredoctest.php = the // comments are not in the actual file ...
<?php
$str = <<<EOD
Example of string
spanning multiple lines
using heredoc syntax.
(this code cut and paste from
the PHP manual examples ...
it just will not work ...!
EOD;
echo $str . "\n"; //echoes the string, fails on newlines in heredoc
// content and in this newline

/* More complex example, with variables. */
class foo
{
var $foo;
var $bar;

function foo()
{
$this->foo = 'Foo';
$this->bar = array('Bar1', 'Bar2', 'Bar3');
}
}

$foo = new foo();
$name = 'MyName';

echo <<<EOT
My name is "$name". I am printing some $foo->foo.
Now, I am printing some {$foo->bar[1]}.
This should print a capital 'A': \x41
EOT;
// again no newlines on direct heredoc echo ...

echo <<<HDOC
a second test for newlines - "\n" - can't find what is required to
get this to work - have tried everything in the PHP Manual
- still nothing - amazingly even Heredocs does not work.
Tried this on two machines - both running Xammplite 1.7.1. Also
tried installing PHP5.3.3 - and Newdocs doesn't work either. Any ideas?
HDOC;

//note the n gets escaped, but no actual newline occurs in the output
// and the " " gets left in the output!

/* And for good measure, here is another bit of frustration - also
code copied directly from the manual ...
'fnmatch' is an internal function - yet PHP can't find it ... */

echo "some form of gray ...\n ... or grey"; // no newline in output

if (fnmatch("*gr[ae]y", $color)) { // function undefined, dies
echo "some form of gray ...\n ... or grey";
}
?>

Here's the output: - the line breaks are non-existent - here, of course
the wrapping is imposed by the mail client editor, but in the browser it
just it all just runs together .. most curious, very frustrating.

Example of string spanning multiple lines using heredoc syntax. (this
code cut and paste from the PHP manual examples ... it just will not
work ...! My name is "MyName". I am printing some Foo. Now, I am
printing some Bar2. This should print a capital 'A': Aa second test for
newlines - " " - can't find what is required to get this to work - have
tried everything in the PHP Manual - still nothing - amazingly even
Heredocs does not work. Tried this on two machines - both running
Xammplite 1.7.1. Also tried installing PHP5.3.3 - and Newdocs doesn't
work either. Any ideas?some form of gray ... ... or grey
Fatal error: Call to undefined function fnmatch() in
C:\xammplite\htdocs\heredoctest.php on line 47