From: Jose on
On Mar 1, 6:46 pm, "Jerry Martin" <a...(a)zoominternet.net> wrote:
> "db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in messagenews:919C98FF-8C3B-4D86-8DF1-CB666BD1B51B(a)microsoft.com...
>
> > hibernation requires that
> > the computer be idle for
> > a period of time.
>
> > it could be that your pc
> > is actually busy and not
> > idling.
>
> Hello:
>
> I have a similar case where the Win XP PC usually does not go hibernation
> (or stand-by when I have tried that), even though I have set it in Power
> Option section of the Control Panel that hibernation is enabled. The PC will
> go into hibernation (or stand-by) if I manually select that. Does that imply
> that there is a background process going on that prevents the hibernation
> feature to recognize that the PC is idle?
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

Here is an article that helps understand what idle means and the many
XP things that might be happening behind the scenes that can reset the
idle timer and prevent hibernation or Stand By from engaging:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899975

This doesn't include things that you may have added to the system
yourself.

I have all this junk turned off - most of the time.
From: Herbert Eppel on
On 01.03.2010 13:09 UK Time, Jose wrote:
> On Feb 28, 10:12 pm, Herbert Eppel<HE(a)UK> wrote:
>> I set my wife's PC (XP SP3) to hibernate after 1 hour, but it doesn't do it.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Herbert Eppelwww.HETranslation.co.uk
>
> Test the mechanism by hibernating manually.
>
> Click Start, Turn Off Computer and you can see the various options -
> one of which is Stand By.
>
> When you press the Shift key, the Stand By button should turn into a
> Hibernate button Hibernate is clicked, the system should hibernate.
>
> What are your results?

Thanks for your reply.

Manual hibernation works.

What next?

I better try and understand the tips you mentioned in your other replies :-)

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
From: Herbert Eppel on
On 02.03.2010 08:30 UK Time, Herbert Eppel wrote:
> On 01.03.2010 13:09 UK Time, Jose wrote:
>> On Feb 28, 10:12 pm, Herbert Eppel<HE(a)UK> wrote:
>>> I set my wife's PC (XP SP3) to hibernate after 1 hour, but it doesn't
>>> do it.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Herbert Eppelwww.HETranslation.co.uk
>>
>> Test the mechanism by hibernating manually.
>>
>> Click Start, Turn Off Computer and you can see the various options -
>> one of which is Stand By.
>>
>> When you press the Shift key, the Stand By button should turn into a
>> Hibernate button Hibernate is clicked, the system should hibernate.
>>
>> What are your results?
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Manual hibernation works.
>
> What next?
>
> I better try and understand the tips you mentioned in your other replies
> :-)

Having done it manually once seems to have encouraged the PC to do it
automatically thereafter! :-)

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on