From: Brian Gregory [UK] on
How does Windows XP decide all services have started and that it's okay to
allow someone to log in?

I would like to make it wait a longer time since some impatient users are
logging in too quickly and complaining when tray icons (for example safe
removal, volume control) never appear.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk

From: Jim on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:53:04 -0000, "Brian Gregory [UK]"
<ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk> wrote:

>How does Windows XP decide all services have started and that it's okay to
>allow someone to log in?
>
>I would like to make it wait a longer time since some impatient users are
>logging in too quickly and complaining when tray icons (for example safe
>removal, volume control) never appear.

AS my ex-wife used to say " Patience , James , patience . "
From: ju.c on
How to delay loading of specific services
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888/en-us

ju.c

From: Brian Gregory [UK] on

"ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop(a)mailinator.com> wrote in message
> How to delay loading of specific services

They actually admit they bodged it:

"In some computers, especially older systems and those with slower
peripherals, it may be necessary to delay the loading of a specific Windows
service for the computer to boot properly"

This shows Windows is incorrectly written software by any professional
standard.

If you know something could go wrong you are incompetent if you don't write
the software so that it's impossible for it to go wrong.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
> They actually admit they bodged it:
>
> "In some computers, especially older systems and those with slower
> peripherals, it may be necessary to delay the loading of a specific
> Windows service for the computer to boot properly"
>
> This shows Windows is incorrectly written software by any
> professional standard.
>
> If you know something could go wrong you are incompetent if you
> don't write the software so that it's impossible for it to go wrong.

Not really.

Since there are millions of combinations of computer hardware and computer
software possible (billions even, probably a number larger than that) - to
think any one piece of software (OS or otherwise) could handle all the
possible combinations or be compatible with all the past/present and future
possibilities as well is a ridiculous notion.

In fact - the notion of doing anything so that it is *impossible for it to
go wrong* demonstrates an ignorance of reality.

The key works in my door lock now... Think it will work always no matter
what happens?
The car started fine this morning... Think it will work always no matter
what happens?
The river was flowing 2 miles from my house... Think it will always flow two
miles from my house?

Things change, progress, move about, do strange things. To expect the
unexpected defies the definition.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP