From: Ragmuffina on
the same happened to me only i've lost coursework due to be sent today. I am
frantically trying to search the internet trying to find a way to access the
files.
;(

From: Shenan Stanley on
Ragmuffina wrote:
> the same happened to me only i've lost coursework due to be sent
> today. I am frantically trying to search the internet trying to
> find a way to access the files.
> ;(

Did you read the entire conversation you have responded to?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Invictus on
There has been some bad advice here. I just did the same stupid thing and I
did recover the files.

1. Go to disk clean-up (I assume you will know how to do this, if not, look
it up it is easy)
2. Click on Temporary Internet Files
3. Click on view files (a window should open with the folder Content.IE5
4. In that window go to tools
5. Click Folder options
6. Click on "Show hidden files and folders" and unclick "hide protected
operating system files (Recommended)" you will be prompted warning you that
you shouldn't be looking at system files. click yes.
7. Now the hidden folders will be displayed
8. Sort the folders by date
9. Your file will be in one of the hidden folders that has been modified
since the time you lost your file. There may be a dozen folders to check.
Find the one with your file, open the file, save it somewhere smart.
From: Shenan Stanley on
<another snippage of the entire conversation>
Read it here:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin/browse_frm/thread/3bf74fdf601932ca/

Invictus wrote:
> There has been some bad advice here. I just did the same stupid
> thing and I did recover the files.
>
> 1. Go to disk clean-up (I assume you will know how to do this, if
> not, look it up it is easy)
> 2. Click on Temporary Internet Files
> 3. Click on view files (a window should open with the folder
> Content.IE5
> 4. In that window go to tools
> 5. Click Folder options
> 6. Click on "Show hidden files and folders" and unclick "hide
> protected operating system files (Recommended)" you will be
> prompted warning you that you shouldn't be looking at system files.
> click yes.
> 7. Now the hidden folders will be displayed
> 8. Sort the folders by date
> 9. Your file will be in one of the hidden folders that has been
> modified since the time you lost your file. There may be a dozen
> folders to check. Find the one with your file, open the file, save
> it somewhere smart.

Amazingly lucky. Sometimes the folder is gone.

The good advice is *always* save and work from the saved document - not the
one you decided to open from your email attachment directly. Everything
else is a 'maybe' in terms of keeping this from happening again.

Recovery was not an option in this case because they *found* the folder with
everything visible and the document was not there. That's the way it occurs
at least half of the time - if not more.

The good advice is not to let that happen. Make saving first in a proper
location a habit.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP