From: Luis Falch on
Hi

It is possible to hide printers to users with administrative rights, except
the own printer?
We have a server running an application, users have to be part of the admin
Group. But in this way they are able to see all printers. Can I hide other
printers except locall redirected printers?

thanks in advance for any help in this issue..

Regards

Luis Falch

From: Divya Bhagavan[MSFT] on
Hi Luis,

From Vista/WS08 onwards, admin users cannot see the printers redirected from
other user sessions. Only Print Operators can see all printers.
So, if you are running WS03, then you can try upgrading to WS08 to hide
other printers.

Thanks
Divya

From: Luis Falch on
Hi..

Thanks for your answer.

Upgrading to WS08 is not an option. I need to make it works under Windows
2003.
Problem is that I have user connected to the server directly to an
application, (this app works only with admin rights).
So the opnly way it works is having users with admin rights going directly
to this APP.
My only option is hide printers to other admin user.

Any other suggestions??

regrads...

Luis F.

From: Rob on
Luis Falch <lfalch(a)info-arch.com> wrote:
> Hi..
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> Upgrading to WS08 is not an option. I need to make it works under Windows
> 2003.
> Problem is that I have user connected to the server directly to an
> application, (this app works only with admin rights).
> So the opnly way it works is having users with admin rights going directly
> to this APP.
> My only option is hide printers to other admin user.
>
> Any other suggestions??

Find an app that does not need admin rights...
In 2010, this should be possible I think.

Or alternatively, find out why the app needs admin rights and fix only
that problem. Usually something like giving write access to %windir%\Temp
or %ProgramFiles%\Programname to the users.
From: Luis Falch on
thanks for the tips.

Yes should be. But is not the case. I give permissions to "everyone" in c
drive and doesn't work. Only way it works is be a member of the Admin group.
Is a customized VB 6 Applicatin. Problem is that it give me "Runtime Error
70: Access denied" when the user is normal user. I try with the RUNAS an
administrator and doesn't work.

My temoprally solution was put the user into the admin group, but her solve
the Application error, but allow all users to see all printers, and user and
printers are from different locations.....

Any other suggestions??

regards, and thanks again foryour help

Luis F