From: BenJ on
Hi,

I have a requirement to run terminal services for 10 temps, who will
only be employeed for 4 months. I have an old test server, which I am
planning to use as the TS server. But I'm not sure if the spec is high
enough, or where the bottlenecks would be! As these temps are only
going to be with us for 4 months, its not worth buying a whole new
server!

The temps will be running IE7 & Office 2007 - Word, Excel & Outlook
only. Data is held on a file server, so these TS sessions will have
mapped drives, and all data will be accessed from these drives.

Server Spec: Dell Poweredge 400SC Dual P4 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 1GB NIC,
40GB IDE drive.

I think the CPU & NIC is enough for 10 users. However, is 2GB ram
enough, split between 10? Also, the hard drive I'm not sure of! I have
a 17gb Seagate SCSI U160 15k rpm drive, which I could use instead. The
17gb capacity isn't a problem, as only W2k3 Svr & Office will be
installed, as I said, all data is held on a file server.

Some advice would be welcome!

Thanks

Ben
From: Silvia Doomra [MSFT] on
Apart from what you have mentioned, you will need to purchase 10 TS CALs as
well.
You can only work with TS without licenses only for 90 days (for which a
temporary license is issued) and after that you need to convert that to
permanent else you cant access TS after that.

Hope that helps!
Thanks
Silvia
Remote Desktop Services Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds

From: "Jeff Vandervoort" jeffv at jrvsystems dot on
Re hardware, for 10 users, for 4 months, and temps who don't get a vote on
how good performance is, you're probably OK with 2GB RAM. Glad I don't have
to use it, though!

SCSI would be a LOT better than IDE, esp. since with 2GB of RAM you'll be
swapping a lot, and you'll burn a lot of CPU cycles with IDE. Folder
redirection will help keep user data off the local drive, so hopefully
you're using that, because 10 user profiles will fill a 17GB disk in no time
without it.

The good news is that Outlook on RDP won't use Cached Exchange Mode, so you
won't have to cache mailboxes on the local drive.

--
Jeff Vandervoort
JRVsystems

From: Falcon ITS on
Hello,

I think you would be ok with 10 users. You may want to add another 2
GB of RAM. It will perform a lot better with 4 than with 2 GB and 2 Gb
of RAM is really not that expensive.

I have a client with similar situation, they run 10 users. They just
avoid surfing on TS because pages with animation like flash really
kill the whole TS experience by making it very slow.

Cheers,

Miguel Fra
http://www.falconits.com
http://www.falconits.net