From: Rob on
Windows XP SP3

Windows update allows you to hide an update you don't want to install.
Of course I have hidden KB976002 which is presented as a critical
update but is not a security update and is only needed when the user
wants to have it.

However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
I restore this update.

This is of course incorrect. KB976002 is not a security update.

Please update the Windows Update site so that KB976002 can be hidden
without further messages and incorrect warnings.
From: G. R. Woodring on
I expect that the Law Givers have *required* Microsoft to classify it as
critical. At any rate this is a user-to-user support group, no one here can
change anything on the Windows Update site.

--
G. R. Woodring

From: Rob on
G. R. Woodring <tejbbqevat(a)rneguyvax.arg> wrote:
> I expect that the Law Givers have *required* Microsoft to classify it as
> critical.

Fine. But that does not make it a security update.

> At any rate this is a user-to-user support group, no one here can
> change anything on the Windows Update site.

What Microsoft writes about feedback is not true?
Maybe the lawyers should go after that...
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic Updates
now, don't worry about it.

[OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
now?]

> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> I restore this update.

No, it says:

<QP>
You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical
security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great
danger"] until they are installed...
</QP>

KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related update.

WYSIWYG (at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) when you hide any update and
run an EXPRESS or CUSTOM scan for updates (which will offer any Critical or
Important updates without distinguishing any differences).

The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It -
Microsoft On The Issues:
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx

More in the first post of
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/12fb0294-fd62-4487-a14b-ac37071c1081
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Rob on
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic Updates
> now, don't worry about it.

In Europe, it is.

> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
> now?]
>
>> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
>> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
>> I restore this update.
>
> No, it says:
>
> <QP>
> You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
> You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical
> security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great
> danger"] until they are installed...
> </QP>

In the Dutch translation, it certainly says that. I cannot check the
English/American version.

> KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related update.

So if you hide it, it should not suggest that your computer is in
danger.