From: kulkan on

I'd love to hear what settings need to be set in a Dell optiplex 755.
I have just been setting up a test server on one of these and can not
get Hyper V to go.
I have a Core2 Quad (9550), 8 GB RAM. I've updated the bios in the last
week and have everything turned on in Bios that looks relevant for VMM.
Server 08, r2, x64 with file sharing and IIS on. hyper-v installed,
uninstalled, re-installed. All the HyperV management pieces start but
there is a message that Hyper-V Launch failed; Eitehr VMX not present or
not enabled in BIOS.
event 41, source Hyper-V Hypervisor, user System.

I've found a few threads but have not got the combo right yet.

--
kulkan
kulkan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/236075.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Phillip Windell on
Have you tried this testing tool?

HAV Detection Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0ee2a17f-8538-4619-8d1c-05d27e11adb2&displaylang=en

--
Phillip Windell

From: Chris M on
On 23/06/2010 20:26, kulkan wrote:
> I'd love to hear what settings need to be set in a Dell optiplex 755.
> I have just been setting up a test server on one of these and can not
> get Hyper V to go.
> I have a Core2 Quad (9550), 8 GB RAM. I've updated the bios in the last
> week and have everything turned on in Bios that looks relevant for VMM.
> Server 08, r2, x64 with file sharing and IIS on. hyper-v installed,
> uninstalled, re-installed. All the HyperV management pieces start but
> there is a message that Hyper-V Launch failed; Eitehr VMX not present or
> not enabled in BIOS.
> event 41, source Hyper-V Hypervisor, user System.
>
> I've found a few threads but have not got the combo right yet.

This is the first Google result for 'Dell Optiplex 755 Virtualization'

http://www.shnake.com/blog/?p=419

--
Chris M.
From: kulkan on

ok. got past the BIOS issue.
I hadn't turned off the Trusted Execution.
I've got that off,
I also changed from fastboot to normal but will try turning that back on
as well.

hyper-V working.

BIOS updated as of 5/10.
switches in the BIOS performance area set to:
1) Multiple cpu core � set to On.
2) Speedstep, again no mention. I�ve had it on, am trying it on (I
think)
3) Virtualization. .. is set to ON, as it should be.
4) VT for direct IO, is set to ON as it should be.
5) Trusted Execution set to Off.
No power down as I had already done this a couple of times.