From: John Mashey on

JJ wrote:
> kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:
> > I can remember several years when magnetic bubble memory was
> > going to be the next big thing, replacing most other forms of
> > storage. It then seemed to disappear without trace. Has
> > development stopped?
> >
> > Ken Young
>
> I also recall the jumps in sizes didn't increase very fast when the 1M
> arrived and that DRAMs were starting to follow Moores law and could be
> predicted out to follow scaling laws. Also they needed heaters to work
> properly and permanent magnets to actually sustain the bubbles.
>
> Anyway the wiki bubble memory article brings back neural memories.

Yes, and in fact, it would probably have been easier to have typed:

bubble memory

to Google, Yahoo, MSN, ask.com, all of which give that article as the
first reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_memory

That is at least a reasonable article, although doesn't emphasize DRAM
as one of the two technoloqies that squeezed bubbles. It correctly
identifies Andrew Bobeck of Bell Labs as the prime mover in this; IBM
(and others) also did a lot of work, and I haven't tried to count
patents, but Bobeck was a key guy. Try:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

and put in bobeck and bubble in the two search fields: many of the
results are authored by Bobeck or references to his work... and that
doesn't include his pre-1976 ones, of which there are a bunch.

We spent plenty of money (I was at BTL 1973-83) on bubble memories,
among other things because they were non-volatile and reliable, and
couldn't afford to have disks.

Also, these things did not generally fairl for reliability reasons, but
got squeezed from both sides in the price/performance/speed hole
between DRAM and disk, and classic graveyard of stroage technologies.

Moral: one must always be careful wth information found on the Web, but
in this case, the most trivial search retrieved a fairly good
exposition.

When you ask a question in a newsgroup, you get answers that:

a) Are now archived "forever"
b) and are ... wrong :-)

From: kenney on
In article
<1161227370.927487.258010(a)i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
old_systems_guy(a)yahoo.com (John Mashey) wrote:

> to Google, Yahoo, MSN, ask.com, all of which give that article
> as the first reference:

I don't have broadband and pay for connection time. I use an off
line reader for Usenet. Thanks for the references.

Ken Young
From: Eric P. on
kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> In article
> <1161227370.927487.258010(a)i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> old_systems_guy(a)yahoo.com (John Mashey) wrote:
>
> > to Google, Yahoo, MSN, ask.com, all of which give that article
> > as the first reference:
>
> I don't have broadband and pay for connection time. I use an off
> line reader for Usenet. Thanks for the references.
>
> Ken Young

Ok, then go straight to the horses mouth. A Y2000 interview with
Bobeck in which he states at the end the reasons for its demise:
cheaper semiconductor ram and disks.

Bubbles: the better memory
http://www.eet.com/special/special_issues/millennium/milestones/bobeck.html

But research has continued, at IBM at least. In Sep, 2006 Nature

Oscillatory dependence of current-driven magnetic domain wall
motion on current pulse length
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v443/n7108/abs/nature05093.html

appears to deal with moving magnetic domain walls around using
electric current.

Eric

From: Eric P. on
Tim McCaffrey wrote:

> I use to have a databook on these, probably threw it out...
>
> Anyway, one problem I recall with BM was that the bubbles were
> arranged on rings, there was one primary ring hooked to multiple
> secondary rings. A bubble was rotated from a secondary ring to the
> primary ring, and then moved under the read "head" (this is all from
> memory...), which did a destructive read, and wrote it back. You
> had to be careful to rotate the rings to a known position before
> power off, so the memory was non-volatile, but you could scramble it
> easily enough.
>
> - Tim

Oh yeah, that sounds right. You just tweaked a neuron.
I remember thinking that you will need to devote one secondary ring
to storing a single bit to mark the origin position. Also some of the
secondary rings were bad so you had to skip those positions on the
primary loop when storing/retrieving. But I see from poking about
the web that later Intel added an extra secondary 'boot loop' to
store both the origin marker and good/bad map which their controller
chip would load on start up.

Also a price of $100 each (in 1977 dollars) pops to mind.
Intel was apparently using synchrotron Xray lithography (yikes!)
to get the 1.2 um features for these puppies, so maybe that is why.

I also have a vague recollection, which I have not been able to
verify by poking about the web, of there being scaling limits to the
technology such that they couldn't get much beyond 1e6 bits/cm^2
(something about a minimum bubble size and the bubbles can't be too
close to each other or they merge). But I find no reference to that
so caveat emptor.

Eric

From: Christopher C. Stacy on
"Derek Simmons" <dereks314(a)gmail.com> writes:
> kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:
>> I can remember several years when magnetic bubble memory was going
>> to be the next big thing, replacing most other forms of storage.
>> It then seemed to disappear without trace. Has development stopped?
>

> If I remember right it was very slow, very expensive, not completely
> reliable and I think IBM held most if not all the patents.
> Being slow might have been related to reliably reading
> and writing to the device.

It was used for secondary storage on a version of the TI Silent 700.
I think the FTD (Florist) network was based on these.