From: TC on

"Del Cecchi" <delcecchiofthenorth(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> "TC" <noone(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I can remember several years when magnetic bubble memory was
>>> going to be the next big thing, replacing most other forms of
>>> storage. It then seemed to disappear without trace. Has
>>> development stopped?
>>>
>>> Ken Young
>>
>> If you are talking about early 1980's bubble memory technology then the
>> problem I recall is that it didn't work (at least not reliably). From
>> what I remember, this was how Intel first learned about the effects of
>> Alpha particles on memory. All of the other responses about being slow,
>> alternate technologies, etc. are also true.
>>
>> TC
> You recall wrong. Alpha Particles have no effect on magnetic materials.
>
> del cecchi
>
> PS are you the TC that posts to sci.med.nutrition?

No, I've actually never read that news group.

Regarding bubble memory... I don't recall much about the 1980's but I
wouldn't have described Intel's bubble memory as a magnetic technology. I do
know that it didn't work, that it was withdrawn from the market, and have
been told by Intel FAE's of that era that Alpha particles were to blame. I'm
not trying to argue the point... only passing on the experience, and the
source of the comment.

TC

From: Gene Wirchenko on
"David Wade" <g8mqw(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>"krw" <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote in message
>> In article <4558B57A.1BFB981E(a)comcast.net>, richchas(a)comcast.net
>> says...

[snip]

>> > The Texas Instruments Silent 700 terminal was the only device
>> > that I was aware of...that contained a bubble memory module.
>> > It also had an acoustic coupler 300 baud modem built in, and
>> > used a thermal printing mechanism.
>>
>> A triple kiss-o-death!

>Oddly they were very popular. I am sure we had several for home working,
>access to bulletin board type systems and as a portable TTY for servic
>use...

My mom was a Realtor and used one when the computerised listing
service started up in her area.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.
From: Brian Inglis on
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:11:04 -0000 in alt.folklore.computers, "David
Wade" <g8mqw(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>"krw" <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote in message
>> In article <4558B57A.1BFB981E(a)comcast.net>, richchas(a)comcast.net
>> says...

>> > The Texas Instruments Silent 700 terminal was the only device
>> > that I was aware of...that contained a bubble memory module.
>> > It also had an acoustic coupler 300 baud modem built in, and
>> > used a thermal printing mechanism.
>>
>> A triple kiss-o-death!
>>

>Oddly they were very popular. I am sure we had several for home working,
>access to bulletin board type systems and as a portable TTY for servic
>use...

Got long arms hauling the Portable home nights and weekends instead of
staying at work; and when finished work, did a bit of long distance
browsing over Datapac X.25 network.
It was a lot quieter to use late at night than the dot matrix printer
on the PC that replaced it: one reason I splurged early on (expensive
at the time) B/W HP DeskJet, plus memory and font cartridge addons for
bigger buffers, nicer text, and more graphics.

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: Del Cecchi on
TC wrote:
> "Del Cecchi" <delcecchiofthenorth(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"TC" <noone(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>><kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>If you are talking about early 1980's bubble memory technology then the
>>>problem I recall is that it didn't work (at least not reliably). From
>>>what I remember, this was how Intel first learned about the effects of
>>>Alpha particles on memory. All of the other responses about being slow,
>>>alternate technologies, etc. are also true.
>>>
>>>TC
>>
>>You recall wrong. Alpha Particles have no effect on magnetic materials.
>>
>>del cecchi
>>
>>PS are you the TC that posts to sci.med.nutrition?
>>

> No, I've actually never read that news group.
>
> Regarding bubble memory... I don't recall much about the 1980's but I
> wouldn't have described Intel's bubble memory as a magnetic technology. I do
> know that it didn't work, that it was withdrawn from the market, and have
> been told by Intel FAE's of that era that Alpha particles were to blame. I'm
> not trying to argue the point... only passing on the experience, and the
> source of the comment.
>
> TC

At about the same era, CCDs were being evaluated for possible mass
storage type applications also. They had many of the same
characteristics as bubbles from an application standpoint but were made
of silicon and were more akin to dram from a physics standpoint.

Glad you are not that TC, he seems like a kook.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn?t necessarily represent IBM?s positions,
From: Stephen Fuld on
Del Cecchi wrote:

snip

> At about the same era, CCDs were being evaluated for possible mass
> storage type applications also. They had many of the same
> characteristics as bubbles from an application standpoint but were made
> of silicon and were more akin to dram from a physics standpoint.

The company I worked for actually shipped some solid state drums using
CCDs. They worked, modulo some intermittent problems, but were
overtaken by DRAMs about the time that 16K chips became available.

I actually did some evaluation of bubble memory as an alternative to the
CCDs, but the bubble's advantage of non-volatility was not enough to
overcome its disadvantages.

--
- Stephen Fuld