From: Rod Speed on
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:23:34 -0700, me/2 <null(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

>> I've been lucky in that I've only had one hard drive failure in the
>> last 20 years or so. It was a 160 GB Seagate IDE drive about 2 years
>> ago. I did an online RMA request, shipped the drive off and less than
>> a week later I received a 250 GB as a replacement. The replacement
>> still has around 2 years left of the original 5 year warranty.
>>
>> me/2
>
> Well,
>
> I've also had very good luck with both Seagate and Hitachi drives,
> until now. And, it's been over 2 weeks now since Hitachi received the
> drive back from me, but still no replacement drive shipped.
>
> Is there any possibility that Hitachi will simply say, "Sorry no
> drives available. Go away?"

Nope, legally they cant do that.

They have to ship you something, often a bigger drive short stroked to the size of the one you sent them.

From: Arno on
Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:23:34 -0700, me/2 <null(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:24:53 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
>><mike(a)jasper.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>:>In article <vaihe59t2e0t74get0ofe0e29tpbleckqf(a)4ax.com>, Andrew Hamilton
>>:><Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> writes
>>:>
>>:>>Are they saying that if there are no more drives available, then I'm
>>:>>outta luck?
>>:>
>>:>No, they'll send you the next capacity drive up that they do have in
>>:>stock. e.g. if you send in a 250GB and they have none in, they'll send
>>:>you a 320GB instead.
>>
>>I've been lucky in that I've only had one hard drive failure in the
>>last 20 years or so. It was a 160 GB Seagate IDE drive about 2 years
>>ago. I did an online RMA request, shipped the drive off and less than
>>a week later I received a 250 GB as a replacement. The replacement
>>still has around 2 years left of the original 5 year warranty.
>>
>>me/2

> Well,

> I've also had very good luck with both Seagate and Hitachi drives,
> until now. And, it's been over 2 weeks now since Hitachi received the
> drive back from me, but still no replacement drive shipped.

> Is there any possibility that Hitachi will simply say, "Sorry no
> drives available. Go away?"

No, that would be fraudulent. But two weeks would be very fast
for a cheap consumer=grade device.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Andrew Hamilton on
On 12 Nov 2009 10:07:54 GMT, Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>No, that would be fraudulent. But two weeks would be very fast
>for a cheap consumer=grade device.

Thanks, Arno. The web site promises a replacement, "if available."
Sounds pretty weasel-word-y to me. If I don't get a replacement soon,
I will have to go out and buy another drive. I suppose I can always
use the extra storage, <SIGH>.

-AH

From: Rod Speed on
Andrew Hamilton wrote
> Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote

>> No, that would be fraudulent. But two weeks would
>> be very fast for a cheap consumer=grade device.

> The web site promises a replacement, "if available."
> Sounds pretty weasel-word-y to me.

More fool you. Operations like that know what the law requires.