From: james0077 on
Hi there,

I work for a financial institution and feel it would be a very good
idea to enable an outgoing safety net, a delay of x seconds/minutes
before mail destined for the outside world, gets released.

Is there any way to hold / queue all mail bound for the outside world
for x seconds, minutes, etc?

Ideally, I would like to hold all outgoing email for five minutes so
that if a user sends out an email accidently to the wrong address (as
has happened several times this year) I am able to stop it before
escaping.

Thanks in advance.
From: Grant Taylor on
james0077 wrote:
> Is there any way to hold / queue all mail bound for the outside world
> for x seconds, minutes, etc?

Could you configure Sendmail to queue messages for delivery rather than
try them immediately? Set a minimum queue life time? Have a persistent
dequeuing daemon (or cron job) that will delivery messages that are
older than the minimum queue life time.

> Ideally, I would like to hold all outgoing email for five minutes so
> that if a user sends out an email accidently to the wrong address (as
> has happened several times this year) I am able to stop it before
> escaping.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure if five minutes would
be enough in reality.

> Thanks in advance.

*nod*

Grant. . . .
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Grant Taylor <gtaylor(a)riverviewtech.net> wrote:
> james0077 wrote:
>> Is there any way to hold / queue all mail bound for the outside
>> world for x seconds, minutes, etc?
>
> Could you configure Sendmail to queue messages for delivery rather
> than try them immediately? Set a minimum queue life time? Have a
> persistent dequeuing daemon (or cron job) that will delivery messages
> that are older than the minimum queue life time.
>
>> Ideally, I would like to hold all outgoing email for five minutes so
>> that if a user sends out an email accidently to the wrong address
>> (as has happened several times this year) I am able to stop it
>> before escaping.
>
> I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure if five minutes
> would be enough in reality.

IMHO the real problem would be to allow and provide a way to any local
sender to remove his/her message from the queue during the above
mentioned *short* delay.

--
http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/ http://anfi.homeunix.org/
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even